Discuss EICR report and £900 remedial work - seems fair? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

josey1978

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I felt hot sockets in my house.

I called an electrician who said the fuse board was dangerous - just by looking at it. Horrified was the word used. He carried out testing and did some other work.

£120 for the report
£140 for bonding to gas and water services
£80 for T&E cable to front of house
£50 for T&E cable to back of house
£460 for new fuse board
£165 for 3 twin sockets in kitchen

Another report was done a few months earlier and it was satisfactory.

Any comments on this report please?

Thanks.

Attachments

• hayley eicr.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I think the electrician has been a little harsh.

With what he's written, it seem "satisfactory" to me, but with recommended improvements noted. (such as lack of cpc or rcd)
However, I would say that these jobs need done on safety reasons, and i dont think the price is too far off course.

Hes charging for bonding the gas and water, but in part 9, hes ticked the box that these are already bonded?

BTW. Pictures paint a thousand words. We can advise better if we see a photo of the fusebox. We can then say how "horrified" he should have been.

It does not look like a well compiled report, the first thing I notice is that there are no ring continuity readings, despite circuit 2 being on a 30a OCPD, if that's not a ring with 2.5/1.5mm conductors that's a code 2.
However a poorly compiled report does not mean that the defects noted are wrong and remedial work suggested is not required, the price quoted does not look unreasonable IMO.

and why has he put N/A for testmeter used when he's done readings. price wise. looks reasonable for the work he's described. as with all works, might be an idea to get a second quote. a few members down in the black country might be interested. thing is, your "fuseboard" was compliant when installed. it won't comply with current regs. that is not to say that it's not fit for continued use, just that a new board with RCD protection is much safer.

Please see attached photos.

When I called the electrician, he instantly found the problem. He then checked the fuse board which he said was in need of updating and conducted a basic visual check of other sockets and light switches. He was absolutely shocked by what he found and horrified they were not highlighted in the previous report.

I am wondering what was so horrifying?

£460 for a new fuse board is perfectly reasonable, I agree, but I have read elsewhere on here the following advice for not having RCD protection:

'Id have said c3...unless you wanted alterations but even then you could slap in an rcbo to protect the circuit you're altering.'

It would be good to get an idea of whether a fuse board was actually required or should have been a recommendation. Could an RCBO have been fitted based on the information the EICR contains?

photo 1.jpeg photo 2.jpeg photo 3.jpeg photo 4.jpeg photo 5.jpeg

Those are Type 4 circuit breakers which are not suitable for not only domestic but many installation types. It is doubtful although not impossible the higher rated devices such as 30A are not providing fault protection. I see from your Report he appears to have them as Type 2 assuming they are Roman numerals which is incorrect.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, my issue is not the price of the works done as such - because they seem fair. I just want to be satisfied that the inspector has not been overly strict and is charging me for work that didn't need doing. So should some of the C2's have been C3's and the decision left to me?

Also, should he have been horrified and worried me so much?

That's all :)
[automerge]1571159559[/automerge]
Should there be a serial number next to the test instruments he used?

Also, how long should have the testing taken? I have a 3 bed house.

Looking at the schedule of test results again circuit 2 does not provide fault protection with a Type 4, 30A device. The schedule is incorrect indicating the person carrying out the test lacks suitable experience.

I think his prices seem good.

I would feel uncomfortable bad mouthing an electrician unless I could say it to his face or if it was so bad that I would class it as very dangerous.

He may not have written the prettiest report but at least he's picked up on things that the previous report hadn't found. The consumer unit looks like it needed changing and the cracked socket was certainly a C2.

He may have been over zealous on certain other C2's, but I don't get the impression he was trying to rip you off.

This is the problem when dealing with Ecirs

You get a lot of subjective views and opinions

For me a good eicr will clearly highlight the very most obviously dangerous aspects which need addressing

The rest is very how do I say a matter of opinions

OK, the EICR is not perfect, but i can't disagree with his recommendations. that fuseboard is almost as old as me. :p .best to upgrade now and have the work done in 1 hit.

Technical content on an EICR should be correct. Whether his overall view is correct is based solely on the lack of additional rcd protection and no more. Had he had more competence he would have backed this up with the type of protective devices employed.

My view isn't subjective. He has quoted the protective devices incorrectly hence missing a C2 issue.

Indeed and I fully agree

But i have seen reports suggesting a C type breaker as a C2 , and when I queried this with the person who did the report their answer was ‘ I dint like C breakers in domestic’

If you go ahead with it... send him one of the pics from here that shows a very neatly made up board... as an example of what you're expecting...

Reply to EICR report and £900 remedial work - seems fair? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net