Discuss electric into garden shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I presume the green building is the shed?
Whats the brick building with the door open? Does it have electrics in it?

That takes me back to the day when Part Pee and the notification thingies came into force.
I was a regular on the IEE (now IET) forum then. I did have to smile at all of those time served and, probably, very qualified electronic engineers who bleated very loudly. When they realised that they could no longer do very much electrical work in their own houses!
This is the same for the likes of me who used to be a Q.S./P.D.H. for a so-called electrical contractor in Northamptonshire and dealt with the Part P notifications now I do commercial works ie schools etc also the likes of Pete999 who has had a lifetime of electrical installation works from house bashing to high profile installations. Now with part P, this means that we can't do some electrical works in our own homes without the expense of a third party or through L.B.C. And we would do a better job than most that are in one of the schemes from what has been posted on here for us to see.

Garage....by the looks.

Thats what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. Also the question of 'is there electrics in it' needs answering. maybe the OP could tap off it if there is.

Is it literally a wooden shed that you buy at the garden centre? There are fire implications if so. Is it a metal shed? If so then there are earthing considerations. Is you supply/house already RCD'd? It is not easy from the information given to confirm your plans are kosher. How far away is it from the house? In any event an RCD is going to be needed to be involved in this matter.

I presume the green building is the shed?
Whats the brick building with the door open? Does it have electrics in it?

Yes green building is the shed...
building with door open is the garage...
garage has a double socket on the wall which is powered from a plug socket in the lounge. As you look at the lounge in photo, plug sockets are on the wall to the right of the open sliding doors. The mains lead is plugged in there, goes through the wall into a double socket in the garage.

Yes green building is the shed...
building with door open is the garage...
garage has a double socket on the wall which is powered from a plug socket in the lounge. As you look at the lounge in photo, plug sockets are on the wall to the right of the open sliding doors. The mains lead is plugged in there, goes through the wall into a double socket in the garage.

Does your CU have RCD protection?
So your garage is using an extension lead for the power?

What installation method did you use??

Temporary is a word to use carefully. The extension lead provides power and works but it shouldn't be left there - there are regulations on temporary supplies and an extension lead is not one. I would bite the bullet and have a shed installation fitted correctly then it's done.

How about extending the circuit from the living room into the garage and shed?
Even better would be a dedicated circuit, but that involves Part P, as it's a new circuit.

Reply to electric into garden shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock