Discuss Electric job question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HJC

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
Somebody wants a new electric hob installed to replace a gas hob

Kitchen sockets are on the downstairs ring (small apartment) and a cooker isolator is on said ring feeding a single socket behind a single oven(13a plug). It is not possible to run a new circuit to the kitchen to feed the new electric hob so they are limited to which hob they can order.
If I can find an electric hob rated suitable for a 13amp plugtop would there be any descrepency with changing the single oven socket to a twin socket and plugging both the hob and single oven into it?

Under normal circumstances I would run a new supply to widen the scope of hobs to choose from and to future proof the kitchen installation, however the customer wants minimal damage to the property and it’s not possible to wire back to the mains without trunking/damage.

Many induction hobs now come with a 13A moulded plug to power them.

However a double socket isn't suitable to supply an oven and a hob - they are only rated for 20A in total.

Is that cooker control unit definitely on the socket ring?

Looks like it judging from the opening post.

Yeah I just thought it sounded odd to have one kitchen socket fed from a ccu, despite it being on the ring. Thought I'd double check.

I’ve looked into low power induction hobs and all exceed 20amp with the oven. Only other way I can think is to spur off a socket above work surface to a socket for the hob. Only problem is that above work surface is tiled and the customer is very adamant on the no damage policy :D any solutions? New socket will be in the kitchen unit next to the oven

I’ve looked into low power induction hobs and all exceed 20amp with the oven. Only other way I can think is to spur off a socket above work surface to a socket for the hob. Only problem is that above work surface is tiled and the customer is very adamant on the no damage policy :D any solutions? New socket will be in the kitchen unit next to the oven
see post#2.

see post#2.
Is there an issue with adding an additional socket though instead of wiring a dedicated supply? Oven off the existing socket and hob off a new spurred socket from the ring. I’ll have to make good the damaged tiles, luckily they have spares. The walk solution seems more appealing though Tel :)

If it is an outside wall take it through the back in some conduit then back through.
It’s a center so flat no outside wall to go out of, no access from above and the floor is laminated throughout and the mains is on the other side of the flat, hence awkward pulling in a new supply.

Are you sure that the oven is not off its own circuit? and the existing gas ignition socket off the ring.
On the ring, doesn’t look like they had an ignition socket must have got by using a clicker
Are you confirming that the oven is on the ring?
I am confirming the oven is on the ring, apologies could have made that clearer.
Decided on new supply anyway regardless. thanks all for your suggestions :).

Reply to Electric job question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net