Discuss Electric Meter Switch Isolator wiring orientation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It doesn't matter. The electrons don't care which contact they arrive at and find an air gap. But then. 1/100th of a second later, other electrons will arrive at the other contact and find the same air gap.

The problem is there are muppets in this world who don't know to test what side of the switch is live, just assume that the covered terminals are the live side, which is not unreasonable, but only make that mistake once.

I did ask him to explain and I did mention about the line and neutral being right. I explained about KMFs etc for the very reason about the fuse terminals being live.

But he was so insistent that it was wrong and should be bottom in top out that I actually started to doubt myself hence running a sanity check on here. I normally have a couple on the van but didn’t have one to show him.
When I was in infant school, he would be the one standing in the corner with the hat on.

Came across a stand alone RCD once that had been wired N - S on one pole and S - N on the other. Still worked perfectly as an RCD, of course, and the layout of things around it made it obvious why it had been done, but the problem was the test button circuit. These are normally wired to take the neutral from one end and the live feed from the other, so that the power to the test circuit is disconnected as soon as it trips. Unfortunately, in this case, the neutral and the live were both taken from the 'in' side, so the test resistor had been fried by the button being held in too long.

Came across a stand alone RCD once that had been wired N - S on one pole and S - N on the other. Still worked perfectly as an RCD, of course ...
It shouldn't have worked - should have tripped under any load as the sense coil would read the sum of the currents rather than the difference.

It shouldn't have worked - should have tripped under any load as the sense coil would read the sum of the currents rather than the difference.
You could well be right. It was back in the day when RCDs were still pretty much a novelty and this one had been added in front of an old MEM rewireable fuse board. I only got as far as testing it by the inbuilt button, which it failed and then started emitting smoke (which was when I realised how it had been connected.)
Board and RCD were replaced by DIN rail type CU, with a RCD main switch and MCBs and a couple of extra ways for the new circuits that I was there to install.

I really like the Hager VC02SW REC isolators
The cover can be rotated to allow the supply at either side

218556_41.jpg

They are also slimmer than others on the market, as well as having terminals that tighten to 3.6 Nm and cord clamps for the meter tails
All in a decent bit or kit.

I really like the Hager VC02SW REC isolators
The cover can be rotated to allow the supply at either side

218556_41.jpg

They are also slimmer than others on the market, as well as having terminals that tighten to 3.6 Nm and cord clamps for the meter tails
All in a decent bit or kit.
Is it much slimmer than wylex RECSW2S?

I like the twin screws provided by wylex and wonder if Hager provide the same?

Edit: Can't find info on terminals, but note that it's 15mm narrower than the slim wylex enclosure. Seems a touch expensive, but smaller profile would be invaluable in many homes where incoming supply is afforded a ridiculously small
amount of space.

Last edited:
Is it much slimmer than wylex RECSW2S?

I like the twin screws provided by wylex and wonder if Hager provide the same?

Edit: Can't find info on terminals, but note that it's 15mm narrower than the slim wylex enclosure. Seems a touch expensive, but smaller profile would be invaluable in many homes where incoming supply is afforded a ridiculously small
amount of space.
REC2S 150mm 63mm 79mm (H W D)
VC02SW 145mm 50mm 78.5mm

Reply to Electric Meter Switch Isolator wiring orientation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net