Discuss Electrical engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently finishing my level 3 electrical installation and going straight into the hnc electrical engineering. I was wondering if anyone has done the hnc and could possibly give me a heads up on the course, thanks for any info.

Think you need to do a 1 year bridging course before you even attempt the ONC

The college don't run the onc but I have saw what i will be doing when I had an interview for the course it's not much different in the maths side of things, just wondered if anyone had did the hnc and knew anything more about it

ONC is not too different difficulty wise to the NVQ level 3. Crack on with the hnc then the HND and finally get the degree. You will soon be sat in a nice office giving orders to the boys on the tools.

ONC is not too different difficulty wise to the NVQ level 3. Crack on with the hnc then the HND and finally get the degree. You will soon be sat in a nice office giving orders to the boys on the tools.

Yeah, you will be an engineer then, worst case, if it all goes pete tong over here, just get on a plane to China :)

Hi, I'm currently finishing my level 3 electrical installation and going straight into the hnc electrical engineering. I was wondering if anyone has done the hnc and could possibly give me a heads up on the course, thanks for any info.

You wont need to do the ONC mate, i have done both the ONC and 2357 tech cert....they are the same level. Maybe need a maths bridge course, though if you are good at maths then you should be fine.

Two different things mate........the ONC is all class room based and the NVQ 3 is all work based...a better comparison would be the ONC and 2330, 2357 knowledge units etc.

An Ordinary National Certificate(ONC) is a further educationqualification in the United Kingdom, awarded by BTEC. It is at Level 3, equivalent to A Levels.
And? look at post 10, that is the argument, one is work based one is class room based, so how is a ONC and a NVQ level 3 similar?

I said not too different difficulty wise. I didn't say they were the same course. OP get your self a degree then you will be streets ahead of everyone and won't have time to argue between an NVQ and ONC. Didn't think they still did the ONC in electrical engineering anymore anyway.

If you're maths is up to scratch you should be ok to go onto the HNC. The best thing to do is to talk to the course leader at the college and ask if they're confident that you can do the HNC.

...NOT necessarily the way it pans out... :icon12:

There’s other ways of getting in to that office. Knowing what you’re talking about helps.

The college don't run the onc but I have saw what i will be doing when I had an interview for the course it's not much different in the maths side of things, just wondered if anyone had did the hnc and knew anything more about it

If you are under the illusion that the HNC Math is not much different from what you have been doing, you're in for a very rude awakening and very quickly!!

OND Electrical and Electronics BTEC maths was roughly equivalent to the old C course maths. (which might be the same as what is now the 2396). However, the educational authorities may have watered it down to get bums on seats and then give you the necessary crash course to get those weak areas up to the appropriate level.
The HND maths level is a little higher than both of these.

Can't talk for today's situations ackbarthester, but in my time HND level maths was nigh on Degree level, with the HND being equivalent as a foundation qualification course for an Engineering degree (typically used by adult students as a route to gaining a degree etc. Eg, equivalent and taken as the first year of a 3 Year Degree.

HNC maths was infinitely higher than any C&G course of the time.

Reply to Electrical engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net