Discuss Electrical Safety Inspection? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sue1955

Hello,

I have my house on the market and have recently had a fullreferb. The house hasn’t been rewired but my electricain removed the trunkingthat was all around the house and chased the cables into the walls and put newswitches, lights and sockets etc.

The house did have smoke detectors hardwired but theplasters boarded the complete house and didn’t pull the cables down so I had toinstall battery ones.

A buyer has just had her electrician inspect the house andhe has picked up the following isssue, my electrician is on holiday for 2 weeksand I need to know if I have to get these points fixed or if the electricianwho inspected in wrong?

I have twofuseboards, the one with the bathroom lights on is RCBO C6 and the other boardhas two RCD’s and circuit 1 doesn’t have a fuse in it??? Please help???

Defects:

· Absenceof RCD protection for cables installed at a depth of less than 50 mm from asurface of a wall or partition where the cables do not incorporate an earthedmetallic covering, are not enclosed in earthed metalwork, or are notmechanically protected against penetration by nails and the like – C3

Covered in thebelow consumer upgrade

· Absenceof 30ma RCD protection for circuits supplying equipment in a locationcontaining a bath or shower with insufficient supplementary bonding - lights up– C2

Replace theexisting consumer unit to a split load RCD protection and new circuitprotection

· Smokedetector on ground floor past expiration date – FI

Replace smokedetector to main linked type

· Absenceof smoke detector on 1st floor – FI
Supply and install1no smoke detector

· Absenceof smoke detector in loft conversion – FI

Supply and install1no smoke detection

· Absenceof heat detector in kitchen – FI
Supply and install1no heat detector
· Circuit1 has no identification –C3
Identify circuit or make safe.

Attachments

• 20140629_144110.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 16
  • 20140629_144121.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 14
From the information you have supplied and assuming that the consumer unit pictures you have posted are the only ones in the property.

All your circuits have 30mA RCD protection so any reference to lack of RCD protection is incorrect.

If your circuits are installed correctly and you have main bonding to incoming metallic services then supplementary bonding is not required in a bathroom.

The reference to circuit one appears to indicate there is a connected circuit, however this would be very unlikely since that positions a blank.
All the circuits pictured have identification so this appears to be an inaccurate observation.

The lack of, or expiry of smoke alarms and the absence of mains powered smoke alarms is for information only.
However it would be in general a good idea to have in date mains powered smoke alarms in the property.

he's either fishing for work, or the prospective buyer is trying to get the price knocked down.

sounds like a made up code 1 (fire).

comments? what's wrong with just entering " it's FUBAR"

Reply to Electrical Safety Inspection? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net