Discuss electrical underfloor heating in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mozzo

Hi, I am new to underfloor heating testing and wanted to get some feedback from anyone experienced with testing such systems. From info gathered it appears there are 2 basic types of underfloor heating. Elements with a screen that is connected to earth for installations in bathroom and wet areas and elements without an earth screen. I assume manufacturers instructions should be followed in terms of testing and recording the resistance of the elements but what insulation resistance testing should be conducted. I assume IR test from the screen of the element to the live and neural of the element. any advice would be appreicated.

UFH normally has comprehensive instructions on checking the installation is undamaged all the way through the installation.

Resistance of the element compared to bench marks, operation of the temperature probe or resistance of probe, IR test of the cables against each other to a stated minimum: normally before installation, after laying, after screeding/tiling and before switch on.

so what is needed is the manufacturers testing recommendation for the kit that has been installed. However in the absence of such instructions then the next best thing would be to make logical test and test the element resistance and record the values stating limitations that no data is available in regards to manufacturers test recommendations.

If the UFH has already been installed then it is a bit late for testing, but based on the wattage then calculate the expected resistance and test the resistance of the element to see if they match, also IR test the element L and N and earth to see if the mat has been damaged.
If all is OK then carry on. If you have somewhere to record this then you can do so, I would be doing the testing for my own piece of mind if I had installed it.

Thanks. I have now also read the manufacturers website and the test are fairly straight forward. I will wrap it up in an install certificate but there will be many limitations as I did not install the heating wires and the people who did were frankly tilers doing electrical cowboy work. Another case of consumers looking for cheap deals and not doing due diligence research.

Reply to electrical underfloor heating in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net