Discuss Electrocution. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andy B

What would happen if you touched the busbar in a ccu with a 60 amp main fuse? I was talking about it to a guy at work today. I said it would probably kill or hospitalise you, he disagreed. I remember seeing a guy touch a live bar years ago when I was an apprentice and he just screamed. So what do you think?

all depends on how well you are earthed. the better your body is earthed, the greater the current flow. IMHO, this is not something you should try and prove at home.

alsio bear in mind that some epople are more likely to die from electrocution than others. you may have a heart condition or murmur that your not aware of. it is prudent to get it in your head to treat all cables and electrical sytems with respect. People who survive electric shocks are nothing short of lucky. if you see people working in a dangerous manner, dont be afraid to give them a bolocking. any sparks worth their salt wont putthem,selve or others in a situation where an electric shock can arise. it may take a while to find the correct isolation point ect, but its nothing in the grand scheme of things.

It also can depend on how your hand is facing when it takes the shock as ac will make the hand close and if it closes on a live bit you will not be able to let go and this would almost be certain to cause the heart to fail.

fact or fiction I am not sure, but it seems logical that given two people of equal health status one old the other young, the young one is more likely to receive a larger current flow as their skin is better hydrated and not dry and crusty like us coffin dodgers..

fact or fiction I am not sure, but it seems logical that given two people of equal health status one old the other young, the young one is more likely to receive a larger current flow as their skin is better hydrated and not dry and crusty like us coffin dodgers..
you speak for yourself, mate. i still conduct well, plenty hydration courtesy of Marston's, Shepherd Neame, Cains, Brains, Theakston's, to name but a few.

I've got a little slack lately with my isolation procedure, that was until I had 2 belts in one day of a lighting circuit under load, one on my head! Which was a tingle and the other a nasty one which made my arm throb for about an hour, from that day to this it's full safe isolation all the time regardless of the inconvenience

It also depends on the prospective fault current, if its 1.5kA then thats whats going up yer arm not 60a. If you try it i will guarantee that you wont be laughing about it in the pub tonight, and the local A&E wont think you are funny either.

Cheers............Howard

A kitchen fitter asumed that just because the supply is at say 100A thats what you would get. Wrong i told him and did a pfc just to show him what the potential may be given the right conditions-2.6 kA. Told him he would go up like a rocket if that hit him.........

Also depends on the route it takes, even a small current across the chest can kill you pretty quick. Even if it don't get you straight away it can leave scar tissue on the ticker which weakens it. Isolate!

Steeve your right mate

resistance is the oppisition to current flow, depending where across your body will depent on the current you absorb. I read some where the rekon hand to hand is 2000 ohms 230/2000 = 0.115 or 115m/a

Like truckster says...depends on the fault path, across the chest is obviously the worst scenario but when you get to the levels of amperage where talking about here with enough voltage to push it through somebody`s body then its grim....I am sure most people on here are aware of the u tube clip from india where the poor guy pratting about on the roof of the train carrage gets the full monty from the overhead cable....the man`s on fire.....

Reply to Electrocution. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net