Discuss Estate Cars in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

liam b

Hi, Ive been thinking about getting rid of my combo to get an estate car as im only working for myself part time and full time as an electrician for a company, has any of you used an estate car as a van?
im mainly domestic so plenty of bits and pieces for that but a couple of commercials a month but just buy the bits i need for each job, im in 2 minds to get one or not, have any of you tried it and found them too small?

cheers!

Used to have combo also and moved to estate. The rood thing isnt a big deal. You can always fold down the back seats and get a much bigger floor space. Ive always found things like trunking and conduit fit well inside also going down into passenger foot well. The added advantage is you throw and extra 3 people in the vehicle if you ever need too. That was my main reason for it.

Tried a van for 3 months, didn't suit. I use a 5 series estate, it has all the gear in i need and can cope with drums of SWA when needed. Ladders go one the roof, has air suspension, cruise, air con and blue tooth. 3M lengths of trunking, conduit, tray and unistrut go in, where as with a small van, you are having to strap them on the roof.
Gets 43mpg and i run it as an employee expense at 45ppm.
Managed to pick up another identical one - so have a spare just in case it breaks down :)

Say for self employment,during the last 30 years I have had 2 vans,the first was when my estate had problems and a van was available
The van served me well for 4 weeks till I gave it to a mate.Serving me well means mehanically,it was ace,as a storage come transport vehicle,I couldn't wait to get back to the estate

The second van,a transit, lasted a little longer because it took time getting the shelving etc fitted,it lasted 4 months before I realised I was carrying more gear than screwfix have in stock,I also missed the superior goods carrying properties of an estate so got shot of it for yet another estate

Also,unless you are someone who likes seeing their company name publicly displayed for the thieves to have better choice.the estate gets less visits than the sign written vans

I'm buying a secound hand estate for work due to the same reasons as you Liam. It fits everything in that I need and anything bigger that I buy should come with free deliverly!

I use my wifes estate car for weekend work and its brill. Better than the combo van in many ways. The only thing I get knocked down with from customers is a sneaky little comment of "not a van???" My reply is "Its cheaper in a car/estate and your paying for it at the end of the day, saved you ÂŁ20 there my luv on this little job." Goes down well every time so dont worriy.

Van insurance was ÂŁ300 more than my Subaru wagon, I'll be sticking to that for now but being I just picked a set of leather seats up on ebay for it I think I'll need to be more tactful on my loading :sweatdrop:

Fit's everything in fine and much nicer to drive than a van, windows are a obvious concern but they make parking etc easier at least....

I've got a Ford S-Max which has tinted windows and is perfect, also has 7 seats for when the kids and their mates need picking up!

Space and security are my main concerns, thanks for the input, i think ill tidy my van out and see what im left with, then go look at an estate to see if i can fit it all it ok!...then go from there

cheers

Mondeo estate , y reg, cost 850 two yrs ago. Cavernous it is!

Had to ditch the VW T5 (arrrrghhh) cos got two small uns. So after work car van becomes family car.

If you are thinking about an estate, I can highly recommend the VW Passat 2.0D (the larger bhp of the two available). Subject to the points made about security, the load carrying capacity is great and it's a tidy motor Everyone will have their own favourites!
Regards

I,ve had cars more than vans and one other thing going for the estate is that you tend to carry less junk in it than you would a van,we all do it you use something once in say a year but you leave the bit left over in the van cause it,ll come in handy and 6 months later it,s still sat there.Also I find you tend to only carry the tools you need which is better because if it does get broken into they dont get as much,whereas with a van you tend to carry everything,also less weight =less fuel used.

Reply to Estate Cars in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net