Discuss Ethernet powerline in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

firemanowl

Has anyone used these devices where you plug senders into the electrical sockets to send your internet connection to other parts of the house? Are they any good or is running a seperate cable better? Opinions much appreciated.

I use them and have done for over a year now. Never had any problems whatsoever with connection, but the ones I have do feel warm to touch as they are turned on 24hr's a day.

I've seen a system like this and it works fine. I think it was Netgear but I'll stand to be corrected.

I did try these with two different makes and it did not like transmitting across two RCD's ie, transmitter on ring upstairs on RCD 1 and Receiver on ground ring on RCD 2........

Hardwired and never looked back

ps, but i did try it in the shed 100ft away and worked perfect when both on the same RCD

A friend and client of mine has some of these. Netgear I think. He was having trouble with the transmission rate so I went round his house checking the connections at every socket and in the CU. There were plenty of connections that benefited from a little tightening and I replaced a few sockets too. After that the transmission rates were much improved and consistant. It was a 16th split board so all ciruits were on one RCD. Interesting observation about circuits on dRCD boards.

Going to give them ago, friend has just moved into a new house and needs an internet connection by the tv. Laminate flooring and they arn't going to being doing any updating for a while so looking for an easy option to get them going.

Hi all,

Never really seen these, but may have a job soon where client needs internet connection up to an office in the top of the garden (approx 45M run).

Just wondering really on, Cost, proper name so I can give them a search and where they are installed.

Sounds interesting.

Cheers
Ashley

Just adding to others comments they are good for getting out of a fix but must remember they will be about 30% slower than a good wifi or hard wire connection. But this would not be noticed so much as long as gaming and movie streams are not used for that pc using it.

Have a look on fleabay and put in Ethernet powerline. Click on one and have a read, look to be about £30 up. Cheers for the advice needasparks just looking at some options to get mate underway, house will need updating so will hardwire a connection then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just adding to others comments they are good for getting out of a fix but must remember they will be about 30% slower than a good wifi or hard wire connection. But this would not be noticed so much as long as gaming and movie streams are not used for that pc using it.

I have no data loss and I am using powerline adaptors from one room to another, then into a 8 port switch hub supplying 2 xbox's, 1 PC, wireless adaptor supplying 2 phone, 2 laptops. Always a great ping speed. (virgin internet, fibre optic,)

Have you had a look at Power Ethernet Sockets?

Its powerline technology built into a standard double gang wall socket. There are a couple of short videos at power ethernet product videos
James
(disclaimer: I work for Power Ethernet)

Just adding to others comments they are good for getting out of a fix but must remember they will be about 30% slower than a good wifi or hard wire connection.

not correct, using netgear ones and they work much much better than wifi in my home and have seen no drop in speeds compared to hard wired.

not correct, using netgear ones and they work much much better than wifi in my home and have seen no drop in speeds compared to hard wired.

I would agree with this point and our tests support it. Hard wired or Powerline should deliver better quality connectivity in terms of available speed and round trip time (how long it takes for the data to be transmitted) than WiFi.

WiFi, although very useful, is not good at handling a mixture of different demands on it like streaming video and trying to play interactive online games at the same time. Add this the fact that in many locations within the house, the WiFi signal has to go diagonally through the walls means that there are going to be coverage blackspots.

The best recommendation is hardwire / powerline connect all fixed devices and keep the WiFi for just the mobile devices.

Kind regards

James
(disclaimer: works for power ethernet)

Always wondered why we segregate mains and data during installs, when a product like this seems to work fine using the mains cabling to actually carry data and power simultaneously.......

Have you had a look at Power Ethernet Sockets?

Its powerline technology built into a standard double gang wall socket. There are a couple of short videos at power ethernet product videos
James
(disclaimer: I work for Power Ethernet)

Question - do these "upset" RCD's if the sockets are on different circuits?

Comment - your posts could be taken as advertising and the mods/dan take a dim view on people doing this unless you are a forum sponsor!

I think we all prefer hard-wired , but I really like these and have used them on many occasions . The more you spend the better the product I found.

They also come in a wireless version at the receiving point i.e. main internet router downstairs, transfer through powerline to unit plugged in upstairs then upstairs becomes a wireless zone if it wasn't before.

For the basic models £35 online

For a really goodone off the shelve in TESCO its £85 "Belkin 200"

Reply to Ethernet powerline in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net