Discuss Extending a lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers, I might be able to come of the rose :). (Very Grateful of the replies and help)

As for the bonding, the gas main and water are about 5m away from the CU, I have to bond 600mm or less at the incoming pipe correct?,

Have you tested the EFLI at the point you plan to extend the circuit from? I have
Have you considered how a fault in the garage would affect the rest of the installation, and whether this is acceptable or not?
How are you going to clip direct from a ceiling rose which is presumably in the centre of the ceiling? And does your customer really want a clipped cable in their living room

Cheers, I might be able to come of the rose :). (Very Grateful of the replies and help)

As for the bonding, the gas main and water are about 5m away from the CU, I have to bond 600mm or less at the incoming pipe correct?,
Main bonding needs to be at, or as near as practicable to, the point of entry of the extraneous part to the installation.

Hello LEE,

5 weeks on and off, I'm learning still and yes I have low experience I know this!!.

We all have to start somewhere in life to get somewhere we want too.

G

Hello LEE,

5 weeks on and off, I'm learning still and yes I have low experience I know this!!.

We all have to start somewhere in life to get somewhere we want too.

I do agree with the last sentence but do you think 5weeks is adequate? Do you have someone you can call upon to work along side you to gain some experience?

I haven't tested the earth fault loop impedance at the point of extension.

I consider a fault in the garage light will take out the lights in the house as they are on the same circuit.

I will be running the cables above the ceiling, clipped to the joists

I'm currently looking for someone to build experience with, I have all test equipment and its calibrated all the required books and low experience.

I'm an engineer at work installing 1/3 phase x-ray systems.

No 5 weeks wasn't long enough and I know in my own mind I'm not experienced enough that's why I'm starting small, I'm enjoying it and I want to learn more.

I haven't tested the earth fault loop impedance at the point of extension.

I consider a fault in the garage light will take out the lights in the house as they are on the same circuit.

I will be running the cables above the ceiling, clipped to the joists
How do you know that the extension to the circuit will comply with ads?

So its not straightforward clipped direct then? Is it a loft above? If not how do you plan to gain suitable access to the joist to clip it?

Are you insured to carry out this work?

As it is an attached garage I assume the run of cable is fairly short, this should mean you will be within the Zs limits for the circuit but you would need to check beforehand by calculation based on the existing Zs at the lounge ceiling rose and your length of new cable (including the run to the switch).

If you are passing from the lounge into the garage you should be aware that this wall is a fire compartment wall and the fire rating of the wall should be maintained.

Cables passing through joists must be >50mm from the top and bottom of the joist to protect against inadvertent nailing.

There are a fair few things to be aware of in doing this work and it is useful where you have a friends house to work on that you take a good read of the relevant regulations and ensure that you are not missing any thing vital, the time taken will pay for itself int he long run by raising your awareness for future jobs.

Take care, read and apply the regulations, good luck.

GEelecs, Welcome to the forum.

Sorry but it seems you're been given a step by step guidance to your install and we don't consider this to be what the forum is for when you are potentially going to be paid for your work.
I would recommend you get employed as an Electricians mate for a few years to gain the essential experience needed to forward your career, jumping in the deep end then asking an internet forum how to do your job on this level is not the way to do it, we will not allow a post by post guide to help you do paid work, we are happy to help with the odd query regarding regulations as they can be a minefield of confusion but not a walk through.

You have been asked several questions that you hadn't even considered in your original post that are very relevant to the safety of the install, so please take the advice that has already been given and the questions asked as an eye opener.

PS- 5million insurance will only be covered if you can proof you understood and followed the regulations, if someone is injured or killed as a direct consequence of your install and you are found liable then it won't mean jack if you breached the regulations without good cause and safety in mind.

I'm Closing the thread on that note as I believe you have been offered more than enough advice and strongly suggest you gain experience with a competent person/company.

Last edited:

Reply to Extending a lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net