Discuss External electrical inspectors requests in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Ben Grant

Hi all,

I'm a spark working for a London firm and one of our clients has recently had an independent inspector in to view our work and our certification.

We only really ever instal 1 circuit back to an existing CCU and maybe extend another

The thing I wanted to know, and it's a point of view.. Is;

He has asked that when filling out a EIC that we record all circuit details on the schedule of test results (but not the results themselves, just circuit details)

We only installed a shower circuit as number 8 on a 10 way board, should we be recording all the extra data on our test sheet? Seems silly as there should already be a cert for the existing, also some of these boards aren't labelled, so what then, we check the whole installation for the sake of a new single circuit?!?

Instead of detailing just the circuit been installed, we have to fill in on average 10 circuit that we have not touched, we have recorded it so we are responsible? What if the stickers are labelled wrong? I have never known to go this over kill.

Just for the record, they are happy with the installation just not the certificates 'they lack the required information'

you only actually need to install the circuit you have tested and mark the others circuit not tested ,as long as all the other installation details are filled in , type of earthing arrangement bonding, how ever you may be required to enter the circuit details for the other circuits if your contract stipulates so, and some times its good for your records to see what else is installed on the board ,good for future reference which maybe why its been asked for

Had a numpty ask for something similar so what I do now is just write "Existing Circuit Not Tested"

I wouldn't be happy filling in all the other circuits unless you were certain what they are. Without tracing each one individually, you cant.

when adding to an existing board, i only ever have - and will - fill in all details for my circuit. i do, however, put it in the correct line of the cert.

I put "used" for existing circuits, all details for the circuit(s) I install and "spare" for unused ways in the CU.

That way its obvious what I'm "responsible" for plus if I get called back I will know if somebody else has been meddling. Plus of course I take a photo of the unit whan I'm done with the cover off and another with the cover on.

Reply to External electrical inspectors requests in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net