Discuss external shower run in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thenugnug

Hi all just after some advice. Went to look at a job today and its a new shower cable needed in 10mm but the new bathroom has already been tiled. He wants me to drill straight out the back of the shower and run down exterior in 10mm 3 core SWA. Not done this before with such a big cable pulling a lot of load just wondered what you guys thought?

why not use T/E in pvc tube? ans what's the shower rating? does it need 10mm? how will you gland SWA into a shower? what about isolator?

why not use T/E in pvc tube? ans what's the shower rating? does it need 10mm? how will you gland SWA into a shower? what about isolator?

yup agree with Tel here, and I expect a potential argument on the isolator may be on the cards too haha, 25mm2 high impact tube would do the Job, and as mentioned does 10mm2 Cable have to be used in this instance?

agreed of it was the only option pvc pipe with t+e into terminal boxes, I'm assuming that you are getting the feed up into the loft to go to your isolator to then drop down into the shower? if he's worried about tiles you'll have to drop in a piece of mini trunking, not very aesthetically pleasing...

is it the mtyh that anything above 8.5kW needs 10mm?

The shower is a 10.8KW and he wants the isolator at cellar head.the cable run would be 22m and the SWA glanded into IP boxes. A bit overkill i know but dont fancy threading twin through conduit

well, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way. i assume you will run from IP rated box to shower in T/E. make sure you use CW glands on the SWA.

Why not use conduit and singles for the complete run if possible. Save all that fannying about with ip rated boxes and no joints. Also a lot easier to pull singles through conduit as well.

Reply to external shower run in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net