Discuss finding an earth break on a ring if in a JB? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Man that was a tough day!

It needs a rewire!!!

Sockets off the lighting circuit.
Spurs off spurs (ring).
Shed spurred from a socket with multiple sockets in it and then to another shed!
And thats all in addition to the IR issues and broken CPC.

However one thing I could do with some help on is the following..

Broke the ring at the CU and the boiler FCU (on ring).
Leg A shows 1.1Mohm N-E
Leg B shows 20Mohm
Cable going into boiler shows 0.9Mohm

When I connect the cables in the boiler FCU back together I get 0.6Mohm N-E (with the boiler switch off) and 0.4Mohm with the boiler switch on?? o_O

Time is money. Knowing more now about the state of the installation do you think it time to do some sums on what it is going to cost to make the current installation safer/safe and a rewire; the customer can then decide on the best course of action. If they balk at the cost suggest taking out a loan.

This situation sounds similar to my friend's ward of court's home - the more you investigate the more you find wrong. This chap, Jim, is an adult and can live in his own home but he needs help with anything beyond cooking, cleaning and shopping because he gets confused. He is deaf too. After an EICR ( brittle rubber cables, increasing incidents of fuses blowing) my friend decided a rewire was necessary but Jim had no way of paying. So my friend arranged a small bank loan which Jim paid back over 2 years. The bank, HSBC, had no issues lending him the money.

Last edited:
We can advise customers on there electrical installations, but financial advise I personally wouldn't get involved in. If the customer was vulnerable I would contact there closest relative, age concern or whoever was best placed to give the client appropriate help.

In your case Marconi it was a friends ward of court, so appropriate advice in that case maybe, but not with everyday customers who you don't know.

Broke the ring at the CU and the boiler FCU (on ring).
Leg A shows 1.1Mohm N-E
Leg B shows 20Mohm
Cable going into boiler shows 0.9Mohm

When I connect the cables in the boiler FCU back together I get 0.6Mohm N-E (with the boiler switch off) and 0.4Mohm with the boiler switch on??

My hunch is that various things are separately leaking to true earth, so when you parallel the two legs there are various other leakage pathways such as L (A) to CPC (B) in parallel with the 1.1 and 20MΩ readings you have. If you were to repeat the tests with the CPCs commoned in the bar but the L's split, you will probably find the numbers behave more like resistors in parallel. The behaviour with the boiler FCU switch is what I would expect because 0.9MΩ in parallel with 0.6MΩ gives 0.36MΩ.

That all makes perfect sense Lucien, thankyou.

One last thing.. should the boiler have a result like this? I.e 0.9Mohm N-E. I dont know enough about the internal workings of a boiler to know if this could just be normal for a boiler. I dont think so as I'd get much lower results on other installations.
This particular boiler was only installed one year ago.

That all makes perfect sense Lucien, thankyou.

One last thing.. should the boiler have a result like this? I.e 0.9Mohm N-E. I dont know enough about the internal workings of a boiler to know if this could just be normal for a boiler. I dont think so as I'd get much lower results on other installations.
This particular boiler was only installed one year ago.

I'd say that the boiler N-E is very low and ought to be up in the hundreds of Megohms range but again it might be something to do with parallel earth paths through the boiler pipework.

Not unless they're in parallel with the L & N!

Be careful when IR testing the boiler - it's an electronic appliance. Only do L+N together to E like a PAT IR, and probably only at 250V. If you were testing at 500V and it has MOV surge arrestors, that is likely where your 0.9MΩ came from and it will come up much higher at 250V. If you were doing the whole heating system with pump, valves etc then it could be anything.

Reply to finding an earth break on a ring if in a JB? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net