Discuss fire alarm advice.. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
im not so familiar with fire alarm..i have to do all new electrical installation on 6 flats and 1 shops..im asking to install and fire alarm on all building including shop..shop its not so big , just around 40-50m2..no any specifications given to me because person who owned this building lived on my hands to do them..my question ; 1 - its any building requirements forcing me to install fire alarm on domestic premises or not..if yes do i have to install just one fire alarm panel for both domestic and shop or individual fire alarm panels ..any advice its appreciate

This will depend on building layout, and a risk assessment. If BC are involved, then you will need to wait for their assessment. Normal setup would be ..The shop should have a fire alarm system to part 1, covering possible staircase and landing areas, with each landing having smoke, call point and sounder....each flat will be part 6 with individual smoke/heat detection. Again this would be down to layout, weather each flat is self contained or has common kitchen area.

This will depend on building layout, and a risk assessment. If BC are involved, then you will need to wait for their assessment. Normal setup would be ..The shop should have a fire alarm system to part 1, covering possible staircase and landing areas, with each landing having smoke, call point and sounder....each flat will be part 6 with individual smoke/heat detection. Again this would be down to layout, weather each flat is self contained or has common kitchen area.
thanks tazz..

building controls its not involve yet..person who owned this building asking me to do layout first and that he present to building control for their final decision..when i ask why not asking architect he asking me '' why i have to pay architect for this small building ''..you are electrician and you know how to do them..to be honest i didn't want to look non competent electrician..

i have done drawing on my mind and im explain to you..all flats its self contained..on each flats i have to install smoke alarm system as usually all domestic premises have..building have one staircase with 4 floors..on each landing floors to install a fire alarm smoke detectors and sounders + call point..inside each flats on the nearest front door to install fire alarm heat detector and sounder connected to fire alarm system ..( do i have to install them or its not necessary)..this its just one zone because its small premises..shop its under flats but not have to do nothing with flats..shops have own entry , brick wall and fire proof ceiling..flats have their main entry and staircase..

what do you think for my drawing..

do i have to install on one fire panel or on separate..shops its small , just 50m2..why i have to install fire alarms..its any books or guidance or something like that where we can read and learn where its necessary to install fire alarms

thanks tazz..

Last edited:
Any job like this, I would get the design down on drawings, and submit them for approval from BC before commencing any work. The shop is commercial premises, and requires a fire alarm system to BS5839 part 1, it is also a legal requirement that a risk assessment be conducted for any business premises. The landlord/owner also has a care of duty, to to protect the life of any tenants. Now if you are designing the system, it all comes down to yourself.....I personally would be looking at installing a fire alarm panel at the shop entrance, covering 1/2 zones within the shop, and a zone per level of each flat landing area. This covers landlords circulation areas......to cover BS5839 part 6, I would suggest a minimum of linked smoke in hallway and heat in the kitchen, but only interlinked within each individual flat. There is no requirement to fit heat and sounders from the main system, as each flat occupant is responsible for their own dwelling. But again under a risk assessment BC may have reasons to request sounders, gas shutdown, automatic vents etc. So it is important to get your specification and design drawings approved first. Or you could find yourself ripping it out or worse, be held responsible for non compliance....Hope this helps

thanks tazz.

a bit confused..why i have to fix fire alarm panel on the shop..shop its independent from other premises..there its a meter room..where its the best place for them..

when you say '' and a zone per level of each flat landing area '' did you mean each floor to be on independent zone ..i thought shop to be one zone and other premises one zone..in total two zones..

you say just smoke in hallway and heat d in kitchen..what about bedrooms..its enough for one bedroom flat..

I know 2 of our local wholesalers have trained contacts who will design a fire alarm installation with all the drawings for free as long as you agree to buy the equipment through said wholesaler - ask your local branchs to see if they have the same deal in your area.

thanks tazz.

a bit confused..why i have to fix fire alarm panel on the shop..shop its independent from other premises..there its a meter room..where its the best place for them.. But they form the same building, if there is a fire in the shop, the flats above are at risk. Again risk assessment needed to confirm.
when you say '' and a zone per level of each flat landing area '' did you mean each floor to be on independent zone ..i thought shop to be one zone and other premises one zone..in total two zones..Firefighters need to know on entering a building where the fire is, One zone covering 4 floors, and another covering a shop store room etc. Will not really give then a chance. Technically, the staircase itself is another zone, under BS, but this is usually ignored in smaller conventional systems, as it becomes confusing on the zone map
you say just smoke in hallway and heat d in kitchen..what about bedrooms..its enough for one bedroom flat..The main requirement for dwellings is Grade D LD2 consisting of circulation areas , such as hallways, landings. Plus risk areas, such as a kitchen. There is no requirement for detection within a bedroom, unless LD1 is requested.
Without see the building or drawings, I am going from most shop buildings I have come across, If you pm me any drawings you have, will be glad to look over, would possible help some of our trainees out in our training section.
The be all again, is a submitted design to BC, they will either pass it or request amendments.
Then you will have the specification confirmed in writing.

Reply to fire alarm advice.. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net