Discuss Fire alarm advice in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been asked to price for a fire alarm in a youth hostel with 8 bedrooms and was told it has to have detectors in all rooms and hallways, up to the standard of 3839 part 6 LD2 grade D.
could someone clarify for me I understand grade d to be a interlinked system with battery back up, is this correct or will it have to be a full system?

Your way off, this is commercial premises, ie hostel hotel....requires full fire alarm to BS5839 Part 1, no LD level or Grade here....The fire risk assessment will confirm the category required, either L1 or L2. Plus DDA and new VAD requirements in rooms, and hallways

Scotland are stricter than England, requesting water mist systems now....What is the building layout are we talking of a converted house or purpose built.?

Bit worried here James, that your going to be either pushed or requested to fit Aico smokes, or similar. If so this will become a nightmare for you, so can only suggest you fit a full fire alarm system covering all requirements. The are plenty of members here to help out if you need further advice

ok, posts have just overlapped..............All property requires a full fire risk assessment to be undertaken before any installation. A hotel/hostel will require a full fire alarm system, complete with control panel on entry to the building, all rooms must have smoke detection and visual alarms. All circulation areas must be covered by detection and call points on each level. All exits to building must also be covered by call points. Because the premises are hotel/hostel, requirements of db levels must reach 75db at the bed of each room, and not the domestic requirement of 85db in hallway, 3m rule....hope this helps

Reply to Fire alarm advice in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net