Discuss Fire alarm qualifications in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Poshspark

Hi I have been asked to install a fire alarm in a new industrial building, do I need any special qualifications for fire alarms? I have a fire alarm manufacturer who will design it and supply all the parts, just not sure if I need any extra qualifications, I am a fully qualified electrician of 22 years.
Thanks

install it yourself to an approved design then get a fire alarm contractor to commission it at the end would be a low risk compromise..........

I do quite a bit of supply and commission or commission only with regards to fire alarms, as biff said install it to an approved design and sub the commission out, as long as there are no complicated cause and effects a good engineer will commission 100 devices a day no problem.

I'm in the Kent area and travel up to Suffolk, down to Southampton and across to Oxford if I can be of any assistance.

Remember the cable must be supported with a fire rated clip, even in plastic mini trunking

A lot of assumptions based on your knowledge are normally made when someone does a system design so i would recommend if you can, get your self a copy of BS5839.
At a minimum, have a look at this
http://www.apollo-fire.co.uk/media/57203/bs-guide-final-locked.pdf (if you email them, they will post you a free pocket guide)
It will give you all the basics with detector siting etc. Most designs just give you what device in what room etc.

Biggest thing i would say most miss out on is correct cable support (metal P clips or steel ties on tray) and segregating it properly. All critical paths (loops/zones/sounder circuits/panel power supply) all have to be in fire rated cable.

Biggest thing i would say most miss out on is correct cable support (metal P clips or steel ties on tray) and segregating it properly. All critical paths (loops/zones/sounder circuits/panel power supply) all have to be in fire rated cable.

Install the whole system in a FP200 or similar cable, the spur for the panel should be in a red FP200 or similar cable and dont just fit a standard unswitched spur

Install the whole system in a FP200 or similar cable, the spur for the panel should be in a red FP200 or similar cable and dont just fit a standard unswitched spur

Thats what i would do but things like door mag cables don't have to be fire rated if you want to save some money

Oh and OP, if you want to do a few more fire alarm installs i strongly suggest you get your self on the FIA units 1 and 5 at a minimum

IMO some very dangerous and miss leading replies. Any Industrial or Commercial building requires assessing before designing a fire system, there are so many variations to consider in the protection of life & property. Questions need to be answered, and documented.
Has a risk assessment been conducted, to evaluate the building,design and type of system is required??
1. Who is controlling the install.
2. Who will the design be submitted to for approval
3. What business purpose is the building being used for.
4. What is being stored.
5. What fire alarm category has been requested.
6. What method of detection will be used.
5. Is additional detection and suppression required.

Remember the cable must be supported with a fire rated clip, even in plastic mini trunking

This must why ADT filled our office with white 20mm conduit and galv saddles recently.

It looks ----!

I'm sure there must be way that a bit more easy on the eye?

If it were only that simple, as someone who has installed literally hundreds of systems I can assure you just chucking some fp200 in with a red spur doesn't cut it, the best advice is from Biff, get someone whom is professional to design and take responsibility for the system, they issue drawings and supply the kit and commisssion, the spark installs to the specification, Fire alarms are complecated leagally bound systems, not for jack the lad to chuck in anything red lol.

I wont comment on the job, but as for qualifications, the FIA do a series of good one day courses which seem to be recognised, I have done half a douzen of them and would say they are worth the money. Not that it makes you qualified so to speak, but it is certainly a good eye opener and worth doing if you are looking for the extra bit of knowledge or some guidance on whats what.

I am not aware of any other training other than manufacturer training that is available.

FIA Training Courses

IMO some very dangerous and miss leading replies. Any Industrial or Commercial building requires assessing before designing a fire system, there are so many variations to consider in the protection of life & property. Questions need to be answered, and documented.
Has a risk assessment been conducted, to evaluate the building,design and type of system is required??
1. Who is controlling the install.
2. Who will the design be submitted to for approval
3. What business purpose is the building being used for.
4. What is being stored.
5. What fire alarm category has been requested.
6. What method of detection will be used.
5. Is additional detection and suppression required.
That is the kindest and most considerate reply to numpty posts of the decade I have ever seen, consider yourself a nominee for friendly member of the month.

I hope it came across as such.....companies know they have a statutory obligation to conduct a risk assessment, or face an unlimited fine. But some try and palm it off on the electrician or fire company. This leads to a system being installed before any approval has been given, with the designer/installer taking the rap and cost.

Reply to Fire alarm qualifications in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net