Search the forum,

Discuss First MFT Advice (Megger or Di-log) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for everyone's input. I think i'm going to go for the Megger. The main reason being the extra years warranty. An extra year with no risk of it turning into a £600 paper weight is certainly worth it i think.

Also, from first impressions the Di-log doesnt feel as well made as the Meggers i have used at my training centre. It isnt bad, but the rotary dial feels very light/cheap and the whole unit flexes a bit if you hold it firmly. The Meggers i have used feel very solid and the rotary dials and buttons feel more "premium". Also, from the specification, the Megger is IP54 rated and Category 4 safety rated. The Di-log doesnt seem to have any IP rating and is only category 3 rated (might not be a big deal for just domestic work, but could be something to consider). I get the impression the Meggers are probably just better made/more robust.

Seen as functionality wise they are very similar in what they can do, i think the build quality and warranty probably tips the Megger over the edge for me.

Another thing is that as my career progresses i will probably end up getting something that can do almost everything like a MFT1741+ (or whatever the equivalent is from Megger in the future). I could then use the 1711 as a back up/secondary tester and it will be useful to have continuity in how the testers function as i imagine Megger keep functionality very similar through new iterations.

like with a lot of purchases though, ive probably been overthinking it and either would have been fine!

Reply to First MFT Advice (Megger or Di-log) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net