Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing tampered pre-pay meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnhudson

Hi guys,

hope you can help me with this. I've moved into rented accommodation and it looks like a previous occupant has tampered with the pre-pay electric meter by putting a wire between two of the big cables that go into the meter.

Is there a safe way for me to turn everything off, remove the connecting wire and return the meter to normal or will it require calling out an electrician/the company?

Your only option is to call the supplier - a local spark can't help you. The meter will need to be resealed and be warned if you don't tell them quickly you will have their investigation team on your back.

To be honest I don't see why it should be your problem as a tenant, I'd take a photo and report it to the landlord, get him to contact the DNO for remedial work.

To be honest I don't see why it should be your problem as a tenant, I'd take a photo and report it to the landlord, get him to contact the DNO for remedial work.
It's his problem because if he doesn't report it yesterday they'll come after him for the electricity theft.

Hi guys,

hope you can help me with this. I've moved into rented accommodation and it looks like a previous occupant has tampered with the pre-pay electric meter by putting a wire between two of the big cables that go into the meter.

Is there a safe way for me to turn everything off, remove the connecting wire and return the meter to normal or will it require calling out an electrician/the company?

Take a Photo, report to the Landlord/Managing Agent and I would also suggest you ensure you put this in writing asap to avoid the blame for this being put on you. The DNO will look for someone to pay the difference between what they think the reading should be and what it actually is...and that could be a LOT of money and also a Prosecution for "Abstraction of Electricity"

Reply to Fixing tampered pre-pay meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net