Discuss Fluorescent lamp rating confusion in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I was replacing a G24D-3 fluorescent lamp in an outdoor light, and a label on the light fitting stated the lamp type was a 26W G24D-3 lamp, however I noticed the ballast had 18W written on it for the lamp wattage. The lamp fitted was a 26W one, and the replacement I was going to fit is a 26W lamp. It is worth noting that the light fitting has worked for about 10 years with the same 18w ballast with a 26w lamp.

My question is whether I should actually fit a 18w lamp despite the 26w rating on the fitting, or is it OK to use a 26w lamp even though the ballast is only rated at 18w?

Also if the combination of lamp and ballast is wrong, why has it worked normally for such a long time and without any obvious signs of overheating or anything?
Pictures attached below
Thanks for any help20210104_152549.jpg20210104_152404.jpg20210104_152358.jpg

go ahead with a 26watt lamp. the label says 26watt. but looking at the state of the fitting as a whole, might be an idea to replace the thing with a LED fitting.

Rated life of the 2D lamp is 10,000 hours.
26W x 10,000 hours = 260kWhr = £39 (simplified calculations)
LED equivalent is approx. twice as efficient, so £19.50 for the same period.
Logical conclusion: Bin the cf 2D replacement lamp and fit a LED 2D replacement panel panel as a minimum.

Edit: Just noticed that it's a PL not a 2D, but same logic applies, although it'll mean changing the fitting, as no one makes a LED PL replacement AFAIK.

Chucking some numbers into a calculator... Electricity cost of 15p/kWh, Old type lamp is £1.64 vs £6.23 for LED, Old type consumes 26 W vs LED of 10W... I reckon that if you go with the LED version, you'll be saving money after about 1,913 hours of use (or 79 days if it's constantly on)... and of course saving the planet as soon as you switch it on !

Reply to Fluorescent lamp rating confusion in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net