Discuss Why fluorescent lamp won't stay on? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Apesbrain

DIY
Reaction score
I have a fluorescent desk lamp that recently developed a problem: it will turn on first thing in the AM, but by the time I've gone to make my coffee and return it is off. If I switch it off and wait 10 minutes, it will often come back on but this cycle may need to be repeated a few times before it will stay on for the day.

It is a bit of a bother to disassemble this lamp, so I'm asking if the first suspect for replacement is the bulb (a square 4-pin tube) or the ballast? The bulb is about 3 years old; the ballast around 10 years (when I first needed to replace it.) Thanks.

Replace the lamp.
wont do any harm to try.

Reply to Why fluorescent lamp won't stay on? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi: I am the custodian at Peru Public Library, Peru IL. About 20 years ago, I installed about 150 new General Electric brand electronic ballasts...
Replies
Views
I’ve got bad ballasts and am replacing the T12 fluorescent bulbs with Halco direct wire, double ended T8 LEDs. The fixture has 4Rapid start bulbs...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've been having some issues trying to fix a fluorescent light in the bathroom. Here's the steps I've taken so far after it suddenly...
Replies
Views
This is just a note about LED bulb failure. We had a desk lamp in which the A19 LED bulb would only go on after flipping the switch several times...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was replacing a G24D-3 fluorescent lamp in an outdoor light, and a label on the light fitting stated the lamp type was a 26W G24D-3 lamp...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock