Discuss Fluorescent lights on plug & socket in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cambria

I have just been in a small building which is an amusement arcade, some time in the past a suspended ceiling has been fitted with four sets of small flourescents plugged into one of the ring main sockets using a normal BS1362 plug. Although not an ideal set up I cant really see in the regs that this is not acceptable. If this is acceptable I am wondering if these lights would actually be considered as part of a PIR as they are not connected to the fixed wiring system. Anyone got any thoughts on this as I've not really come across this situation before.

HI there

New on here so please be gentle.

Would agree with Mark Spark, not fixed installation so PAT test and note on PIR. but also check suitable fuze rating in plug and note rating on plug / socket.

MikeK

Hi The 17th edition now require that installation to be a special location or installation get a copy and read to make sure you comply.

"temporary" amusement arcades are special location but I should have said the one in question here is a fixed permanent installation

Hi.

I would also agree that fluorescent fittings fixed to a ceiling surely become a fixed accessory, and therefore subject to being fwired as part of the fixed installation. Unlike PAT which covers items that are PORTABLE, a lighting fitting on the ceiling could arguably be not very portable !!!!

Under PIR, anything on plug top is not considered part of fixed wiring, but defintiely include on sheet as a recommendation for improvement.

Reply to Fluorescent lights on plug & socket in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net