Discuss fuse board in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

domestic spark

i konw its bad practice to do this but, if you had a say 100A busbar (domestic situation) and from main switch didnt put breaker sizes highest to lowest, would this matter?

no problem, it's just standard practice so as the heaviest loads don't run through the full length of the busbar.

i would fit the shower MCB nearest to RCD if it was not a problem shifting MCBs around, but if i had to put it at the end i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

like i nsaid, i would put heaviest loads nearest isolator where practicable. however, if doing a CU change and the cables were too short to do this, which is best? fit where they will reach and have a heavy load further along the busbar, or join cable/s. i know what i would do.

it's all horses for courses, as they say at newbury

Last edited:
like i nsaid, i would put heaviest loads nearest isolator where practicable. however, if doing a CU change and the cables were too short to do this, which is best? fit where they will reach and have a heavy load further along the busbar, or join cable/s. i know what i would do.

it's all horses for courses, as they say at newbury

Wago's.....the end of electrically induced head-aches?

Smirk.

Ask ted bundy about electricaslly induced headaches.

Wago's.....the end of electrically induced head-aches?

Smirk.

Yeah they look good and are military spec so must be good. wouldnt use then for anything bigger than a radial 16A circuit thou (only rated to 24A) Unless they do bigger ones Ive missed!

and more reliable. seen crimps pull apart, never a wago or helacon.

they're all for connecting cables. the one with the release lever are so you can pull the cables out if needed.

But your changing the charistics of all the circuits in the board so you would have to complete an EIC for all the circuits involved, but when your installing from new you should put the biggest load next the rcd

how are you changing circuit characteristics just by shifting mcbs around?

Seen a 'fix' by a large, un named company spark (the type that are called out and charge £100 before entering) as a board was melting..... there was a fault with a ring so the 'spark' did a bit of lateral thinking and made use of the old (now unused) storage heater board next to the existing one (which had no spare ways and the ring main fuse holder was damaged and U/S). He derated it and put a 16A retro fit breaker in. The cable was burnt / melted so would not reach to the new board, so he (and I use the word loosely) crimped a few inches on to extend the cables to the unused fuse way.

He was there about 25 minutes and charged them nearly as much I subsequently Charged for a 100% PIR, new board and cert, notification. Even gave them a laminated sheet of test results for the next sparky (prob me!)

The point of the post was his crimp that he charged £100's for.... it was so crimped it was literally hanging by a thread of 2.5 mm2 T+E that was probably as bad as the mess he saw when he arrived (I found no fault on the ring so assume it was a loose conn at fuse way)

So yes crimps can be bodged :eek:

Reply to fuse board in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net