Discuss Fusebox RCBO failures in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had a couple now where they won’t reset after a fault current is put through it. Lamp blowing etc. switch goes floppy and won’t reset.

Used to fit Hager and never had a failure. Tempted to switch back now. Anyone else had similar issues or just my bad luck? Probably fitted 150 fusebox RCBO’s so far.

Not had any issues with Fusebox RCBO'S so far and fitted probably about the same amount as you over the last year or so!
If the job will allow I still go for Hager every time. They are still one of the best boards I've worked on!

Had a couple now where they won’t reset after a fault current is put through it. Lamp blowing etc. switch goes floppy and won’t reset.

Used to fit Hager and never had a failure. Tempted to switch back now. Anyone else had similar issues or just my bad luck? Probably fitted 150 fusebox RCBO’s so far.
I find it can happen with any RCBO, i often fit BG boards (which are ok) or hager if tge customer is willing to pay the extra and had a few fail first time on RCD test. Believe its just the cheap manufacturing of consumer units these days.

I'd say it's down to brand, I can't ever recall this issue

Hager go forever , would be Hager Schneider and GE I'd be using

Last edited:
Not had any issues but have fitted 2 boards and thought they were fairly poor. Even when torqued correctly they sit at an angle. The top of 2 rcbos started to split when torqued to correct setting. There's probably a reason why they were so cheap and it's safe to say i won't be using them again.

Have you considered the short circuit ratings - Ics against the Icn values? Is the unit just foooked due to the magnitude of the fault? If so its done its job and just requires replacement?
I was under the impression that Ics and Icn usually the same for 6kA breakers - which these are.

Both jobs have PFC around 2kA. This will of course be less at the point where the lamp blew on the job previously mentioned.

As I said before it’s not happened before with Hager over hundreds of units. Probably time to switch back. Was worth a go I suppose at half the cost for a 14 way R CBO/SPD board.

Seems the bubble has burst on the cheap reliable consumer unit.

Ok, a handful of failures over I don’t know how many reliable units… and maybe just a bad batch…

Just a thought. As there a fridge magnet stick to the front of the board?? ?

After installing a large number of all-RCBO Fusebox boards, I've noticed from time to time the RCBO tripping characteristics sometimes seem to change with different batches. E.g. fit hundreds which all trip 28ms/18ms x1/x5 and generally very consistent, then instead get a batch that trip 28ms/28ms x1/x5 for example. Latest batch were tripping around 38ms/28ms. These are all Type A and tested at the board, not on the end of a circuit. Suggesting perhaps they are changing the design slightly from time to time, or perhaps there is some quality control issue.

After installing a large number of all-RCBO Fusebox boards, I've noticed from time to time the RCBO tripping characteristics sometimes seem to change with different batches. E.g. fit hundreds which all trip 28ms/18ms x1/x5 and generally very consistent, then instead get a batch that trip 28ms/28ms x1/x5 for example. Latest batch were tripping around 38ms/28ms. These are all Type A and tested at the board, not on the end of a circuit. Suggesting perhaps they are changing the design slightly from time to time, or perhaps there is some quality control issue.
My ones were all over the place. Even used my 2nd calibrated tester to check because I thought my tester was at fault. No consistency with tripping times. Not that it matters really as they all passed

My ones were all over the place. Even used my 2nd calibrated tester to check because I thought my tester was at fault. No consistency with tripping times. Not that it matters really as they all passed
One inconsistency I do sometimes see with the Type A RCBOs is the x5 trip time can be slightly slower than the x1, e.g. measure 28ms (x1), then 29ms (x5). Actually the difference is perhaps less than 1ms but I generally only record to the nearest ms, despite my tester showing the first decimal place.

Reply to Fusebox RCBO failures in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net