Discuss Garage Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NewbieRuffy

HI Guys.. hope everyone is well! I need some advice please on a garage circuit, i am still pretty new and I am hoping to use this job i am about to describe as one of my NIC jobs to get registered.

So, a friend asked me too look at a fault in the garage where when he switches the light on the whole house trips (single RCD). I didnt even attempt to find the fault, or should i say the whole garage wiring was one big fault. Spurred off RFC in the house, 5 double sockets and then fed off the sockets the lighting circuit!! Anyway i suggested that its totally redone correctly. So I'll rip all the current wiring, reduce sockets as he never uses garage anyway and run straight from the CU. Now the garage is attached to the house and the CU is on the same wall (in the house), nice and easy to run cables to garage. The CU (as mentioned) is only on single RCD and all circuits protected by it. There are 3 spare ways. I thought of a couple of options:

1. Add 2 CB's 6A for lights in garage, and 16A for a radial circuit in garage.
2. Run 6mm cable to garage and add a 2 way, RCD protected CU, though from what i gather this pointless because of discrimination? is this right? and the fact the the house would trip first?
3. Im not sure about this one but could i do the same as option 2 but without the RCD in garage CU and use a RCBO at main CU?

Couple of questions, do i have to use SWA to garage if i decide on additional CU in there? from main CU to garage CU will literally be less than a meter?
I read on some other posts earthing maybe effected?

Any help/advice as always would be much appreciated.

Nothing wrong with the way it is at the minute.

Find fault and fix.

If your 'mate' wants to spend some money then sort, fair play.

Regards your cable, then you'll have to do the calcs to ensure you size it correctly.

can you re-configure the CU so as to have a main switch, RCD for the house circuits, and spare way for the garage not on RCD? then use this to feed a CU2 in garage with RCD and 2 MCBs.

HI Guys.. hope everyone is well! I need some advice please on a garage circuit, i am still pretty new and I am hoping to use this job i am about to describe as one of my NIC jobs to get registered.

So, a friend asked me too look at a fault in the garage where when he switches the light on the whole house trips (single RCD). I didnt even attempt to find the fault, or should i say the whole garage wiring was one big fault. Spurred off RFC in the house, 5 double sockets and then fed off the sockets the lighting circuit!! Anyway i suggested that its totally redone correctly. So I'll rip all the current wiring, reduce sockets as he never uses garage anyway and run straight from the CU. Now the garage is attached to the house and the CU is on the same wall (in the house), nice and easy to run cables to garage. The CU (as mentioned) is only on single RCD and all circuits protected by it. There are 3 spare ways. I thought of a couple of options:

1. Add 2 CB's 6A for lights in garage, and 16A for a radial circuit in garage. Bit over kill really especially if the garage is attached to the house. I would look at extending the downstairs light into the garage and then either extending the ring/spur off the ring.
2. Run 6mm cable to garage and add a 2 way, RCD protected CU, though from what i gather this pointless because of discrimination? is this right? and the fact the the house would trip first? You are right there would be no discrimination but as the garage is attached I would not be looking at fitting a CU in there
3. Im not sure about this one but could i do the same as option 2 but without the RCD in garage CU and use a RCBO at main CU? Treat the garage as part of the house, after all it is

Couple of questions, do i have to use SWA to garage if i decide on additional CU in there? from main CU to garage CU will literally be less than a meter? Waste of money using SWA
I read on some other posts earthing maybe effected? Does not matter in your case

After giving you my options, I would be in agreement with David, find the existing problem first, good fault finding practice for you.

Thanks for your responses. I didnt realise that you could spur off a socket for lighting. Extending the existing lighting from house and spurring off RFC for sockets would be a good idea however customer wants as little disruption to walls/ceilings as possible and I would need to chase out, so i think this isnt an option. As for it being a good fault finding exercise, you guys are right but to be fair old and degraded cables, broken junction boxes and overall just messy I thought starting again would be a nice little job for me and adding new circuits would mean i can you use it for NIC assessment. Customer is happy with price and its a friend so doing slightly cheaper anyway. Perhaps Telectrix's option is the way forward? or my option 3 without RCBO and just 2 new MCB's in spare ways.

Sorry amendment to my last post. I said 'or my option 3 without RCBO and just 2 new MCB's in spare ways' I meant to say option 1, even though i appreciate malcolms advise on it being over kill, I think it would be easiest and cost effective. Personally (not that i have years of experience) I think its always good to have garage circuits separate, even if adjoined to house.

So, a friend asked me too look at a fault in the garage where when he switches the light on the whole house trips (single RCD). I didnt even attempt to find the fault, or should i say the whole garage wiring was one big fault. Spurred off RFC in the house, 5 double sockets and then fed off the sockets the lighting circuit!! Nothing wrong with that as long as there is a fuse spur off of the house RFC so everything after it is fused at 13A max Anyway i suggested that its totally redone correctly. So I'll rip all the current wiring, reduce sockets as he never uses garage anyway and run straight from the CU. Now the garage is attached to the house and the CU is on the same wall (in the house), nice and easy to run cables to garage. The CU (as mentioned) is only on single RCD and all circuits protected by it. There are 3 spare ways. I thought of a couple of options:

1. Add 2 CB's 6A for lights in garage, jeez, how many lights are there going to be? and 16A for a radial circuit in garage. should be a 20A
2. Run 6mm cable to garage and add a 2 way, RCD protected CU, though from what i gather this pointless because of discrimination? is this right? and the fact the the house would trip first? Yes it would, but if you have 3 sare ways in a cu that is on the same wall as the garage then why would you want a seperate cu?
3. Im not sure about this one but could i do the same as option 2 but without the RCD in garage CU and use a RCBO at main CU?

Couple of questions, do i have to use SWA to garage if i decide on additional CU in there? from main CU to garage CU will literally be less than a meter? ​no you dont.
I read on some other posts earthing maybe effected?

................................................................................

Thanks for your responses. I didnt realise that you could spur off a socket for lighting. Extending the existing lighting from house and spurring off RFC for sockets would be a good idea however customer wants as little disruption to walls/ceilings as possible and I would need to chase out, so i think this isnt an option. As for it being a good fault finding exercise, you guys are right but to be fair old and degraded cables, broken junction boxes and overall just messy I thought starting again would be a nice little job for me and adding new circuits would mean i can you use it for NIC assessment. Customer is happy with price and its a friend so doing slightly cheaper anyway. Perhaps Telectrix's option is the way forward? or my option 3 without RCBO and just 2 new MCB's in spare ways.

You are taking the pee aren't you?

How have you got into this trade if you don't mind me asking? You say you are going to register with NIC then probably start completing electrical works for paying customer, yet your basic knowledge of regulations sounds very limited.

All i'd say is poor customers:smart:

It's a magical land that only take 5 weeks to become an electrician and after that you can go and charge people for guessing your way through a rewire etc

I'd be well chuffed if someone came round to my house to fix an earth leakage fault on a garage lighting circuit (half hour job max) and told me I needed to have my garage rewired and a new CU put in.
If you're gonna make up unneccesary jobs just to get you through an assessment then you should either be doing them for free or doing them in your own house.
And....
How could you possibly think you would need an SWA for a 1 meter long indoor circuit with 30ma RCD protection

Im guessing this guy is all qualifications and no experience

OK, So I as i seem to have found myself as other people have found on other posts on this site, I have come under attack from some of the more experienced members and i guess 'Real Sparky's'. Now i am not going to get into any heated arguments with anyone as that is just not helpful. From first joining this site I have been upfront with where i trained, what qualifications I have and what experience. I am 33 years old and worked 13 years for a mobile telecommunications company as a principal software engineer, I took a career change due to the fact that even though i earnt a very, very good wage the job was killing my soul. I am not stupid, nieve or under any illusions that i am a 'Real Sparky', I have been working with an electrical company that a friend owns doing odd jobs and getting experience, I haven't advertised myself as a Sparky or in fact even a DI, i havent advertised at all because i am the sort of person that when i do a job i want to do it correctly, efficiently, safely and with confidence. I have done jobs on my own property, i.e fuse board change, and tested over and over to make sure i am doing things correctly and understanding the results. I have done a couple of job via friends that dont require Building Reg submissions, so basically minor work (not in a special location before anyone jumps on me). I would never take on a job that i didnt think I could do correctly and to legislation. This job is for a friend, I am charging very, very little. The wiring is old, degraded, hanging all over the place, broken JB's and sockets. In addition my friend also knows my situation and is willing to help me. HE even asked whether he should have a separate circuit for the garage.

Now I also didnt start the thread asking what i should with no options of my own, i suggested 3 options, I came to this site so i can get advice from more experienced and established members, not to be ridiculed. That said I am open to constructive criticism and perhaps some of you are right that i shouldnt be applying NIC at this stage in career with such little experience, as I said i am under no illusions that I can jump straight in after 6 weeks training (yes i did 6 weeks to become a DI) I have a year to submit 2 pieces of work, I KNOW i need more experience.

If you wish to comment on my posts and provide criticism, then please do so if it's going to be constructive, I dont wish to be talked about as a 3rd person, be ridiculed for being a DI or even perhaps because i may ask some questions that you all think i should know.

Finally 'Snowhead' unfortunately i am in the same world as you, were people think its OK to put someone down and destroy their confidence without even knowing a single thing about the person.

Thank you to those that have given advice and constructive criticism, I do appreciate it and will carry on growing and learning despite being ridiculed by some.

I can only apologize for the tone of some the replies which are of a personal nature. If you feel you're being victimized or belittled in future please use the report button on the offending post to bring it to the attention of staff.

If members have criticism from an electrical perspective then please feel free to say so in a civil and constructive fashion.

If you have criticism about someone on a personal level just keep it to yourself, you don't have to post so move on to another thread.

If you have problems with the Part P, 17 edition or 2392 or any other qualification then go lobby an MP or a trade body, maybe sign an internet petition or even make a post on the deskilling thread. Please don't take it out on the person starting the thread.

OK, So I as i seem to have found myself as other people have found on other posts on this site, I have come under attack from some of the more experienced members and i guess 'Real Sparky's'. Now i am not going to get into any heated arguments with anyone as that is just not helpful. From first joining this site I have been upfront with where i trained, what qualifications I have and what experience. I am 33 years old and worked 13 years for a mobile telecommunications company as a principal software engineer, I took a career change due to the fact that even though i earnt a very, very good wage the job was killing my soul. I am not stupid, nieve or under any illusions that i am a 'Real Sparky', I have been working with an electrical company that a friend owns doing odd jobs and getting experience, I haven't advertised myself as a Sparky or in fact even a DI, i havent advertised at all because i am the sort of person that when i do a job i want to do it correctly, efficiently, safely and with confidence. I have done jobs on my own property, i.e fuse board change, and tested over and over to make sure i am doing things correctly and understanding the results. I have done a couple of job via friends that dont require Building Reg submissions, so basically minor work (not in a special location before anyone jumps on me). I would never take on a job that i didnt think I could do correctly and to legislation. This job is for a friend, I am charging very, very little. The wiring is old, degraded, hanging all over the place, broken JB's and sockets. In addition my friend also knows my situation and is willing to help me. HE even asked whether he should have a separate circuit for the garage.

Now I also didnt start the thread asking what i should with no options of my own, i suggested 3 options, I came to this site so i can get advice from more experienced and established members, not to be ridiculed. That said I am open to constructive criticism and perhaps some of you are right that i shouldnt be applying NIC at this stage in career with such little experience, as I said i am under no illusions that I can jump straight in after 6 weeks training (yes i did 6 weeks to become a DI) I have a year to submit 2 pieces of work, I KNOW i need more experience.

If you wish to comment on my posts and provide criticism, then please do so if it's going to be constructive, I dont wish to be talked about as a 3rd person, be ridiculed for being a DI or even perhaps because i may ask some questions that you all think i should know.

Finally 'Snowhead' unfortunately i am in the same world as you, were people think its OK to put someone down and destroy their confidence without even knowing a single thing about the person.

Thank you to those that have given advice and constructive criticism, I do appreciate it and will carry on growing and learning despite being ridiculed by some.

Good to see someone being kicked down, standing up for themselves mate.
In this industry there are good and bad sparks. Some trained via a 5 week course and are good or bad. Some have been at this game for donkeys years and are good or bad. Different strokes for different blokes I suppose?

Reply to Garage Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net