Discuss Garden light advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

07james

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post and I am looking for some advice.

I currently have an outside light connected to a fused spur in the house. I am planning to add some LED lights (4 watts each x 7), using a WISKA box for each light fitting, running through conduit with compression glands.

The current light is an LED, operated on a PIR. The other lights do not have PIR. I would ideally like to replace the current fused spur with a timer FSU, but I believe it would be better practice to replace the current fused spur with an RCD one. What others options do I have, other than fitting a photocell?

Thanks for your help

first, your fused spur probably is wired into the socket circuit which should have RCD protection in the CU. as for your additionallights, feed from the FCU to a switch and, if required, then through a timer or photocell to achieve what you want.

first, your fused spur probably is wired into the socket circuit which should have RCD protection in the CU. as for your additionallights, feed from the FCU to a switch and, if required, then through a timer or photocell to achieve what you want.
Hi telectrix, how can I confirm the CU is protected by an RCD? My house is fairly old.

Attachments

• 141BD0BA-7396-4BA8-9457-E14F9C8349A3.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 11
no RCD apparent there. at the very least, a RCD fused spur is an option, but it's really time to bite the bullet and get that antique CU replaced with a nw unit upto current regs.

I have a contact in Leeds (NICEIC approved contractor and a genuine guy) that would be happy to quote you.

no RCD apparent there. at the very least, a RCD fused spur is an option, but it's really time to bite the bullet and get that antique CU replaced with a nw unit upto current regs.

I have a contact in Leeds (NICEIC approved contractor and a genuine guy) that would be happy to quote you.
please send me his details mate.

Reply to Garden light advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net