Discuss Getting payed in advance in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sham

-
Reaction score
Has anybody took half or full payment in advance before carrying out work. I went to look at a domestic property and when giving the quote, I decided to ask for 70% of the money in advance. This is because he has stripped the house bare to the walls and removed the 1st floor ceiling and being the electrician I will be there in the beginning and towards the end for second fixing. most other traders works will be done in-between and they will get paid. I am worried that the customer will run out of funds when it's my turn to collect. getting paid in advance will make me relax. So what are your thoughts , all work will be on contract.

Has anybody took half or full payment in advance before carrying out work. I went to look at a domestic property and when giving the quote, I decided to ask for 70% of the money in advance. This is because he has stripped the house bare to the walls and removed the 1st floor ceiling and being the electrician I will be there in the beginning and towards the end for second fixing. most other traders works will be done in-between and they will get paid. I am worried that the customer will run out of funds when it's my turn to collect. getting paid in advance will make me relax. So what are your thoughts , all work will be on contract.
If you can get it then why not? IMO it doesn’t look very professional though. There is no way on earth I would ever pay a tradesman upfront to the tune of 70%.

i ask for 33% up front, then 33% on 1st fix, 25% on 2nd fix, remainder on hand over with cert. usually flexible, agreed with customer before i order any gear.

Yes I tend to work a staged payment system with some commercial and agricultural customers like tel says 33% and so on. Never done it with a domestic customer but yes why not!

That is up to you, depends on how much you trust the customer to pay you if you say pay on completion of a stage. As long as it's clear to the other party and they agree in writing then I personally don't think it makes much difference. I have written contracts both ways in the past, especially new customers always make me wary if they are not word of mouth from another good customer.
End of the day your customer wants a good job and you want to get paid, as long as everyone knows where they stand from the outset and is happy with the arrangement then happy days.

Definitely a contract setting out the terms first. Calculate the cost of ALL materials and 20% of the total on top as separate items as a basis for the deposit. When the deposit is paid then materials on site ready for first fix. After first fix remainder to be paid on costs so far. Then final payment on completion. All itemised in the contract. I think that would mean around a 50% deposit. If you show materials and a 20% deposit it will look reasonable.

Better payed than spayed...
just had to cover up little Misia's ears. she was spayed ages ago.
(she's the one on the right. her sister went to a new home, so don't know about her).

Attachments

• Getting payed in advance IMG_0521 (2) - Copy.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0521 (2) - Copy.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
"Spayed is the past tense of the verb spay, which means to sterilize a female animal. ... Related words are spay, spays and spaying. Spayed appears in the 1400s, derived from the Old French espeer, which means stab with a sword, kill, and also remove the ovaries of a hunting dog. "

Actually, it seems both spellings are in common usage today.

Reply to Getting payed in advance in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock