Discuss Getting started in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joebloggs

Hi, Im new to this so bear with me :).
I have just finished my 2330 city and guilds lv2. I've been trying to find a mate job for a while to gain any sort of experiance but there is nothing out there, so me and a friend who has just finished the course with me have decided to try and go self employed, domestic. But we dont really no what we need, as the college we went to have not been very helpful.
First off do i need to do my 17th edition and 2392 or do i sign up to part p.
There is other basic things like prices and such.... Dont really no what to charge for jobs.
I no what your thinking 'he dont no anything' but its got to the point were i have to do someting or even look into it because i dont want to end up in a factory after the 2 years its taken me to do the course.
Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

you will need to join a scheme niceic, napit, elecsa at a cost of £400 per year
they will asses 2 jobs you do (and if succesfull allow you as a member)
you need 2million in public liability insurance
test equipment with valid calibration cert
copies of bs7671, onsite guide

you will need 17th edition within the first 12 month of joining
2391 is not a requirement

charge what you want, but best way is to find your hourly rate then times it by how long a job takes you + materials.
remember additional costs (fuel, smaller items like screws, plugs, crimps, tape etc etc)

as there are two of you then you will need either large jobs or a lower rate to be competative

unfortunately the real world is nothing like college there will be a million of hurdles you will come accross due to no experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks that alot of help.
So with the qualification i already have i dont need to do year 3 for just domestic. If i sign up to one of schems (niceic, napit, elecsa) would i be able to test it my self or will they have to come out to do that.
Again, thanks

you dont need any qualifications at all to work as a domestic spark just competence however to get partp approved which is a requirement for domestic work then scheme providers will insist on proof of competence ie:qualifications,

if you have no qualifications you would do what people mistake as a part p course - its actual a domestic installer certificate which is the lowest level of qualification you can have to join a scheme.

if schemes think you are not qualified Napit for example would insist you do their trade test which is a free two day assesment and if passed gives you their qualification which lasts for 5 years.

as you have 2330 level 2 they will prob accept you but i would advise whichever one if you is joining to also get 2382 under your belt (can be done in 2 hours if you just sit the exam)

once you have a joined you are responsible for all your own testing and filling in of test certificates (remember anything goes wrong from here then its your name on the cert)

i would STRONGLY advise getting 2392 or better still 2391 to ensure testing competence.

remember if you dont do 2330 level 3 then you cant do nvq3 so on paper you will never end up as a fully qualified electrician - keep up your studies you will regret it later

thanks for the advise. where would i find what i can and cant do in domestic, in the on site guide

You can do whatever domestic work you like as long as you deem yourself "competent". As ezzzekiel has said you either need to join a scheme or notify your work to LABC (which can come with a hefty fee, payable for each notifiable job).

If you apply to join a scheme they will assess you on some of the work you have completed within the past 6 - 12 months and if you pass the assessment they will probably want you to gain your 2382 qualification within 12 months of joining.

Sometimes :rolleyes:

Going with your signature this question must have been asked 00100000 00000000 00000000 00000000 times. :D

Reply to Getting started in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net