Discuss Going it alone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shnicko

Hi. I'm new to this site but was wandering if anybody could help me out with some advice. I've been subcontracting to a company for a number of years doing domestic, industrial & commercial work all covered under the companies niceic membership.
I think now is the time to go it alone & was wandering if I joined the nic on a domestic installers basis as this would be the majority of the work I would undertake, what would happen on the odd occasion when I got some commercial or industrial work with regard to signing it off? This would also apply to if I did any periodic reports ( I have my 2391) as I've been told that you can't carry these out under the nic domestic installers scheme.
I'm a bit confused as I've never had to worry about this before when working for a company so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure about the rules re EICRs and NICEIC but I believe they don't let you use the RED NICEIC reports unless you are an approved contractor. But there's nothing to stop you using the open marketly available GREEN ones - or any of the free printable EICR forms that are available.

Generally there are no rules re competency requirements to do EICRs. IMO 2391 should be mandatory - glad to see you are in the 2391 club!

Thanks a lot for the reply. If using a green or the printable EICR forms, how would they then get registered? Or is it just a simple case of the customer and myself having a copy of the final report? Equally, if I were to do some work on a commercial premises how/where would any paperwork be registered with any governing bodies if I don't belong to any? Or don't they?
Just starting out so all a bit new to me.
Thanks in advance.

You would use your NIC DI registration for notifying your domestic jobs and for commercial work you would complete the work, test it and hand a cert to the person ordering the work. Commercial and industrial work is not notifiable thus, by implication, we can assume the electricity used in those environments is less dangerous that used in people's homes

There is no legislation, or process for registering inspection reports.
Its just the customer asks you to assess their electrical installation, you do it and write the results on a bit of paper.

You and the client are the only two involved tin the process.

Some authorities may require the tester be a member of NICEIC but that is up to them to make that requirement. Although (IMO) that could be considered a restriction of trade.

Reply to Going it alone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net