Discuss Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know I am a trainee but what is Del on about when he is talking about staggering a ring in a kitchen @38mins45secs in the video. The other guy he is talking to looks confused as to what Del is saying

I know I am a trainee but what is Del on about when he is talking about staggering a ring in a kitchen @38mins45secs in the video. The other guy he is talking to looks confused as to what Del is saying
Keep the questions coming - it's what this place is here for!
In this case it's far from obvious and he didn't explain it brilliantly.
It's basically a way of wiring a ring using short lengths of cable between every other socket. It's often used (by me at least) in commercial trunking and conduit systems.
e.g.
CU - 1 - 3 - 5 -7 -9
9 -8 -6 -4 -2 - CU

While you could go CU -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 and then have a massive unwieldy run all the way back the CU, the loads would then all be one half of the circuit and purely practically it's much harder to do!

His point (I think) is about having the loads not all concentrated in one spot on the ring. The wiring scheme above can balance things around the ring more.

Srtaggering the Ring / Starring the ring as I have also heard it explained is a really old Skool method that I was shown when I was about 15 on site. The old guys who wire a ring odds and evens point 1-5 , 2-6 , 3-7 , 4-8. They said it would balance the load...
I never do it this way but some pople used to do

Keep the questions coming - it's what this place is here for!
In this case it's far from obvious and he didn't explain it brilliantly.
It's basically a way of wiring a ring using short lengths of cable between every other socket. It's often used (by me at least) in commercial trunking and conduit systems.
e.g.
CU - 1 - 3 - 5 -7 -9
9 -8 -6 -4 -2 - CU

While you could go CU -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 and then have a massive unwieldy run all the way back the CU, the loads would then all be one half of the circuit and purely practically it's much harder to do!

His point (I think) is about having the loads not all concentrated in one spot on the ring. The wiring scheme above can balance things around the ring more.

You've just explained in a few words what Del would still be trying to describe in 2 hours time. I think you should be doing the youtube videos!

It's good that Del after 40 odd years is still learning.

Why does two shorts planks come to mind 🤣

You've just explained in a few words what Del would still be trying to describe in 2 hours time. I think you should be doing the youtube videos!
After the last two weeks I've had I've considered starting a real-life sparks channel that shows some of the problems that never seem to occur on youtube. This mornings job was incredible. (new thread coming up). Messing around with camera's takes so much time though....!

After the last two weeks I've had I've considered starting a real-life sparks channel that shows some of the problems that never seem to occur on youtube. This mornings job was incredible. (new thread coming up). Messing around with camera's takes so much time though....!
A lot of these celeb Youtuber sparks employ a professional camera crew these days

A lot of these celeb Youtuber sparks employ a professional camera crew these days
Shows how much they much be raking it in then.
I wouldn't want to be in that world, dropping brand names in return for sponsorship every 30 seconds and having to worry about making a video as well as finishing a job. I bet occasionally these are in conflict and the video wins.
On the other hand I might do a few simple youtube shorts. We'll see.

We know the difference (I hope), but some DIYers / builders / plumbers don't.
builders and plumbers don't know the difference between their arses and their elbows. how to know expect them to know the difference between a RCD and a RCBO?

Srtaggering the Ring / Starring the ring as I have also heard it explained is a really old Skool method that I was shown when I was about 15 on site. The old guys who wire a ring odds and evens point 1-5 , 2-6 , 3-7 , 4-8. They said it would balance the load...

Also known as Chinese and leap frog.

Never had a need to install one, but everything has its place, it's knowing where that place is that counts.

We used to call it the Chinese way, very common on horizontal conduit runs .

We used to call it the Chinese way, very common on horizontal conduit runs .
It does kind of make sense if you are pulling singles through a single conduit , it avoids a long leg all the way back to the board

I knew what Del was trying to get across he just didn't explain it very well 🙃

Reply to Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net