Discuss Greetings from a Surrey wanabe. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks. Been lurking on here for a couple of weeks now and really enjoy the informative posts and banter.

I'm just about to start one of these intensive courses with Access Training at Edenbridge in Kent which I'm doing over a number of weekends so will keep you updated.

Bit of background on me. 28 and a bit years with the plod (I'm over 50) with about 18 months to go before I can cut and run if I wish. Always worked in CID so seen a lot of stuff over the years. On the topical side, i've come across a fair few interesting wiring set ups for hydroponics set ups in lofts along with bypassed meters etc.

Done a fair bit of DIY plumbing and electrics over the years and really enjoy it.

Really interesting seeing the comments from the older experienced sparks on here and how they mirror other professions. There are those of us out there who do and know how do get a job done through applied experience and then there are those that read a few books, pass a few exams, and an interview, then tell everyone else what to do with no real idea of the practicalities. Bureaucracy and regulations are everywhere. It's all about covering your ..se! (Sounds like a good title for a book!)

Looking forward to learning something new but itching to get hands on.

Hi and welcome to the forum you will find great information here. Out of interest what makes you want to get into this trade,? Im hoping by that age (55+ no offence atall intended) i will be on my way if not out of this trade by then, is there a specific area you want to go into, are you planning on working for somebody.?

Know where you're coming from Dave. I'm lucky as am one of the last with the old style pensions. However, with a whacking great mortgage and an 11 year old I can't afford to put my feet up.

I could stay on if I wish or work as a fraud investigator as I have accreditation for proceeds of crime act investigations and believe me there is no shortage of work in that field. I would however like to do something different.

I was in the first year of a school that had just turned comprehensive for a secondary modern format. It had fantastic design tech, wood work and metal workshops which I loved in my first and second years. However, due to being in the top groups for O'levels and then moving on to A levels, I didn't get the option of continuing with any practical subjects like building stuff.

Interesting point the age thing. Now I've reached my 50s I'm keen to try a stay as fit and active as possible. Work wise, I'm looking ideally, eventually at working for myself or teaming up with someone doing domestic projects. Howevet, in order to get hands on experience working for others will be essential.

Age is a concern, I am in my 50's and can not do things I used to do, knees and back are completely shoot (this industry takes its toll on you) eye sight getting worse. There are guys on here still going strong 20 years on me.:)

Went through a stage in my forties with a bad lower back due to too much time spent driving a desk. Was aggravated further when I was doing some floor tiling and decided to pick up a 20kg sack of tile cement without bending my knees. ( and yes, even the old bill have to do manual handling courses ). Last few years been doing more fitness stuff, circuits, running and resumed my squash career all of which have worked wonders with the back. Things do occasionally go twang, and I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not 20 anymore.

Ive got into this at 48 (49 now) from nursing for the last 15 odd years and this takes less toll on my body but there are some days that my knee and leg muscles hate me, usually caused by a lot of floor work first and second fix and also stupid lofts, stupid stupid lofts - that's better! My way of dealing is a hot bath at night and a slather of Red Tiger balm in the morning.
I have only worked one day in 18 months without knee pads because I swapped trousers that day (I now keep a spare set in car). It's a great fun trade to a new comer with interest in all things technical (not sure if the 'termers still feel excited) and I understand where you are coming from FatAlan.
Use the threads from this forum for any niggling question you have in your head - someone will have asked it and hundreds will have answered it. Welcome aboard.

I thought that my current job was bad for TLA's / abbreviations etc but electrical terminology takes it to a new level.

PS Had anyone see John Ward play his organ (no obscene pun intended ;-))

Reply to Greetings from a Surrey wanabe. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net