Discuss Grey Area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

im looking for some clarification, I know if work is to be carried out on a domestic property then to sign it off you need to be registered with a body, to get the council in to test it or get a third party who is registered with a body to test it.

What about commercial and industrial? Being fully qualified, having a test and inspection qualification and issuing your own certificate is that enough?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron

for commercial and industrial, part p is irrelevant. you only need to be in a scam if the client specifies niceic, eca, napit, etc.

As Murdoch says what are you planning or wanting to do and what quals and experience do you have!!

The most important thing to sort out is do you have high enough Insurance cover and does your insurance cover you for Commercial.

Something as simple as accidentally knocking a PC off a desk could have consequential losses of thousands.

We find that nearly all commercial work uses us because we are part of a scheme and either their insurers want it or they like the pretty logo.

Hello,

im looking for some clarification, I know if work is to be carried out on a domestic property then to sign it off you need to be registered with a body, to get the council in to test it or get a third party who is registered with a body to test it.

What about commercial and industrial? Being fully qualified, having a test and inspection qualification and issuing your own certificate is that enough?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron
It depends on what work, if you wallpaper someones bedroom then no signing off as you describe it is required, if you change a socket then again not required, what work are we talking about here?

Last edited by a moderator:
All insurance is in place to cover me. Iv worked as an electrician for a company for 7 years, fully qualified and have 2394 and 2395. I recently moved to a new job doing shift work, this allows me to do work on the side with my free time. I have a few contacts from my previous job that wants me to do work for them. It will range from swapping accessories to putting new circuits in.

Sorry for being vague, hope this helps.

All insurance is in place to cover me. Iv worked as an electrician for a company for 7 years, fully qualified and have 2394 and 2395. I recently moved to a new job doing shift work, this allows me to do work on the side with my free time. I have a few contacts from my previous job that wants me to do work for them. It will range from swapping accessories to putting new circuits in.

Well if your doing that in a kitchen, Bathroom or Externally then you will need to join a scheme, 400 notes in a brown envelpoe and no questions asked.

In which case you or your employer WILL need to be registered, insured and a member of a scheme.

What does your contract of employment say about working "on the side"?

Well if your doing that in a kitchen, Bathroom or Externally then you will need to join a scheme, 400 notes in a brown envelpoe and no questions asked.

Mike, I hate to disagree with you BUT Part Pee stipulates new circuits ANYWHERE, not just in the locations you list.

EDIT: and its £475.20 inc VAT

OP was referring to comm. and industrial though. no part p there.

My point, Iv found a lot of info on Part P Domestic but nothing for commercial and industrial. Does that mean as long as your Competent/Qualified and issue the correct paper work then your ok without the scheme?

Yes. But investing in some pl ins would be a good idea

Perfect, glad that cleared up. PL insurance is in place just needed this info. Are there any websites apart from IET that would be any use to me to look further into this matter?

You may find that some Commercial customers will ask for a scheme membership...

You may find that some Commercial customers will ask for a scheme membership...

I understand that, iv been asked to do a handful of jobs for a couple of offices, I cant see me going any further and branching out and doing work for any one else. They are happy for me to do it as im fully qualified and competent. Just wanted to clear it up before I bother giving a price and doing it.

Reply to Grey Area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net