Discuss guide to going selfemployed ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

luminaire

I am planing to use my lay off payment to go selfemployed but iam not sure of the best way to go about this. Can an one recomend a good idoit guide to setting up a company. many thanks

Expenses.....van, test gear, scheme affiliations, insurances, initial stock outlay, advertising, accounting.

Starting up isn't cheap, and dont be tempted to take on every job you get offered as this is how most start-ups come unstuck.

Sure does take a bit of cash to get going. I set up whilst still being employed full time, doing my own stuff at night and weekends, it soon became too much and made me take the plunge.

Luckily though, I managed to get all tools and equipment whilst still employed over something like a 12 month period, so didn't notice the cash draining as much. Its still supprising though, I get to a job and realise that I still don't have everything I need.

If you google Business link its takes you to a free goverment run scheme that does lets of free day help courses for new business and explains the basics you need to know.

I'd endorse the suggestion to approach Business Link - the have a number of 1/2 day sessions aimed at business start ups and I found them extremely useful, plus you're also making a few more contacts at the same time.

I'd also say the HMRC is worth a try too, they also do 1/2 day sessions aimed at new business start ups.

Both organisations give you material to take home and to refer to as and when.

Good luck!

Luminaire,

I agree with all the above. Make your cash work hard for you though, don't go spending on expensive luxuries like new vans, top of the range tools and equipment. Get yourself sorted with mid range quality tools etc until you get established then upgrade as money allows.
Do a search on here, it has been covered well, and you only need to spend a couple of hundred quid on power and hand tools to have enough to get you by to start out. Buy some test kit secondhand, you will save a fortune, have a look on the post "which is the best tester and why" its sticky somewhere at the top of one of the sections.
Get a bit of stock, £100 at screwfix will get you all the basics, sockets and switches etc, and get a bit of cable as well.

Cheers..........Howard

Id throw in a couple of thousand business cards. Get them out there, if you are only handing out single cards, you aint got enough. If you buy through Vista Print, then also get the magnetic cards too. I always slap on the fridge/microwave when Ive done a job.

Ive also got personalised stickers for general info, PIR dates, mixed wiring and RCD testing all with my contact details on them. Once your name is out, you turned up when you said you would, look smart and work clean, you get recomended to friends and it snowballs. Dont get disheartened in the early days, and never get complacent when work floods in. I work with another local spar in as much as I pass work on when Im pushed out and he does likewise. Also get connected with a plumber, handiman and a plasterer, youll be amazed how much work comes in through these routes............

I also operate a bit in the same way as Graeme, help a mate and he helps you, take tour holidays at different times and that way you wont lose your customers. In fact re reading Graeme's post we may be twins:eek:, but certainly think and work very alike.:cool:

Cheers.......Howard

Reply to guide to going selfemployed ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net