Discuss Help needed with a simple motorcycle connector issue (novice) in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N-5Gunner

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. I decided to sign up to reach out to some experienced folks who may be able to point me in the direction of how to make this work (and more importantly, the right way).

This is going to be a piece of cake for everyone here (but me) I am sure. To keep a long story short, I am setting up a relay and fuse box on my motorcycle, with the relay hooked into a "switched" wire on the bike, so that any electrical accessories I will be using on the motorcycle (USB port, GPS, auxiliary lights, etc.) can be hooked up to the fuse box, and will only be powered when the ignition is on.

I found that on my motorcycle there is an OEM connector that is intentionally left unused by the manufacturer, designed to be able to hook up OEM heated hand grips if purchased. As opposed to splicing into a wire for my "switched" power source for the relay, I decided to make use of this OEM connector, as it is also a switched power source.

The OEM connector comes with the male end already plugged in. However, it seems to just be a plastic housing. I am completely new to anything electrical, but I am assuming perhaps I am missing some sort of hardware in there.

Either way, I am hoping for help on how I can connect the wire that will be running to my relay into this OEM male connector, so that I can plug it into the female wired end. It can be hard to find these OEM motorcycle plugs (I think, based on my attempts to find some online), or else I would try to find a male connector that already has a bit of wire inserted that I could connect my relay wire to.

Thanks in advance.

TL;DR
How do I hook up a wire into this plastic male connector?

Attachments

• IMG_6272.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6268.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6267.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6266.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6263.JPG
    561.3 KB · Views: 12
You should be able to find a part number from a forum dedicated to your bike make.

I did a similar thing on my BMW years ago and, once armed with the part number, ordered plug and fly lead from a BMW dealer.

As above, get on the relevant bike forum. Bikers are normally a friendly bunch! And generous, good looking, etc etc. ?

Last edited:
Looks like the Male end is being used as a dustcap.
These style connectors come as the shell, which you have and pins.
You need to buy the correct pins separately, or easier still, buy a non OEM male / female auto connector and cut the existing one off.

j,with snow on this, cut it off and fit a plug/socket that you can terminate the wires into.

Thank you for all of the comments everyone. I think in the end I have decided that being as the seemingly best option in this scenario would be to cut the OEM connector off and fit a different connector, I have decided to simply tap into a switched power source nearer the battery. My goal with using the OEM connector was to keep all of the OEM wiring intact, without cutting any connectors off or touching any OEM wires. But, if the best option involves some sort of messing with the OEM system, I might as well do it in a place that is closer to where all of the new stuff is going.

Thank you very much for your help/comments. I just posted a new thread with a question I can't get sorted regarding whether I need to use an additional relay when I go to hook up auxiliary lights to my new fuse block/relay system, or whether I can simply connect right to my fuse block. If anyone may have any insight on that issue, I look forward to hearing from you in that thread.

Cheers!

Reply to Help needed with a simple motorcycle connector issue (novice) in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net