Discuss Help modifying simple LED neon sign board in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

00fil00

DIY
Reaction score
Good morning guys,

I bought this neon sign for my cinema room to put above my arcade machines. I have the cinema controlled by Google voice command so that when I want to watch a movie I say the command and everything downstairs turns on ready.

This neon sign has a dimmer inline and it seems to be obstructing the function. When plugged into a voice controllable smart plug the voice command to turn off the plug turns off the neon light - perfect. When I say the command to turn on the smart plug then the plug turns on but the neon sign doesn't turn on. I have to physically go and push the power button on the inline dimmer.

Can you help guide me to cut the dimmer out and just wire the sign straight to the outlet? Is it a case of just twisting wires together or do I need to do soldering and buy resistors? I am handy but rubbish at electrical.

The sign ends with a USB to be plugged into a USB plug for an outlet. dimmer has 3 buttons: reduce light, power button, increase light. The board has markings for the wires led+, led-, 5v, ground. Video and pictures attached.

TL;DR
Help cut out inline dimmer for a USB 5v neon sign as it interferes with voice commands.

Attachments

• neon2.mp4
    1.1 MB
  • 20230909_093143.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 7
Good morning guys,

I bought this neon sign for my cinema room to put above my arcade machines. I have the cinema controlled by Google voice command so that when I want to watch a movie I say the command and everything downstairs turns on ready.

This neon sign has a dimmer inline and it seems to be obstructing the function. When plugged into a voice controllable smart plug the voice command to turn off the plug turns off the neon light - perfect. When I say the command to turn on the smart plug then the plug turns on but the neon sign doesn't turn on. I have to physically go and push the power button on the inline dimmer.

Can you help guide me to cut the dimmer out and just wire the sign straight to the outlet? Is it a case of just twisting wires together or do I need to do soldering and buy resistors? I am handy but rubbish at electrical.

The sign ends with a USB to be plugged into a USB plug for an outlet. dimmer has 3 buttons: reduce light, power button, increase light. The board has markings for the wires led+, led-, 5v, ground. Video and pictures attached.
I fixed it. It was as simple as cutting off the dimmer and resoldering the wires together.. How come none of you could help me with that?!?

Reply to Help modifying simple LED neon sign board in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net