Discuss Help! Which LED driver do I need in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey all.

Have a client who’s LED downlights keep breaking after 6 months or so. I didn’t put them in originally.

I looked the details on the lights and the transformers and they don’t seem to match. But I can’t find anything to match the light as the input current is 300ma and voltage is 85-265V AC. Could anyone help me out finding the right match. Picture of old transformer and light are attached.

I was wondering if they even need a transformer and could go straight into 230v but wouldn’t dare since not even close to sure.

Thank you very much

TL;DR
Need correct transformer for light in picture.

Attachments

• Help! Which LED driver do I need 215E1CE0-6707-4B5C-B707-28DE8E0CA61E - EletriciansForums.net
    215E1CE0-6707-4B5C-B707-28DE8E0CA61E.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Help! Which LED driver do I need EE2BF956-1808-4B5E-A5CB-E0BA1C31144B - EletriciansForums.net
    EE2BF956-1808-4B5E-A5CB-E0BA1C31144B.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 18
Those are mains voltage LEDs and have built in drivers.
I thought this too.
I found the LED lights online though and they are pictured with transformers even though it states the same input voltage as the one in the picture.

Just feel worried about taking out the transformers when I believe they come with the original order

They are constant current LED fittings that need a constant current driver to match (ie 300mA) The voltage stated is the input voltage range to the driver to ensure a 300mA output, not the voltage to the actual light fitting.

Are the drivers overheating in insulation? I would normally overpower the driver (say 15w for a 12w lamp!).

They are constant current LED fittings that need a constant current driver to match (ie 300mA) The voltage stated is the input voltage range to the driver to ensure a 300mA output, not the voltage to the actual light fitting.

Are the drivers overheating in insulation? I would normally overpower the driver (say 15w for a 12w lamp!).

Thank you

That definitely makes more sense. We are sure that the voltage stated on the light fitting is definitely not for the light fitting though? 😅

Not in insulation. But yeah 12w light for a 8-12w transformer could be the issue.

Reply to Help! Which LED driver do I need in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock