Discuss How can I wire up an old furnace fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kwinch

DIY
Reaction score
I've got an old furnace fan I kept the last time mine was replaced. I'd like to use it for various purposes. It has a red, black, yellow and orange wire. Also a purple going to/from I'm guessing a capacitor on the side and a green ground wire. Can I wire it up to be used on 110v ? I have 220v available if required. Also how would I control the speed? I'm guessing it had various levels.

Furnace fan.JPG

I believe you're onto something. Here's the label.

Furnace fan schematic.JPG

So would that mean I would wire a 110v white wire to the orange common and hot wire to whichever of the other 3 based on the speed I want?

Yes, don't forget that the unused speed wires will need to be safely insulated if they are not used as there will likely be voltage on them. If the motor has had a lot of use it would also be worthwhile replacing the capacitor.

I've got an old furnace fan I kept the last time mine was replaced. I'd like to use it for various purposes. It has a red, black, yellow and orange wire. Also a purple going to/from I'm guessing a capacitor on the side and a green ground wire. Can I wire it up to be used on 110v ? I have 220v available if required. Also how would I control the speed? I'm guessing it had various levels.

View attachment 90574
A couple of the wires determine what RPM’s you want it to run. The problem is that we don’t have a diagram to tell us what wire does what.

A couple of the wires determine what RPM’s you want it to run. The problem is that we don’t have a diagram to tell us what wire does what.

If you zoom in on the photo of the label it tells you which wire is which.

View attachment 90574
Two problems, you will need a step down transformer and the motor is designed for 60Hz, so the magnetising current would be higher causing saturation. It's not worth the hassle.

You guys are not??

Any idea what you call the kind of switch I need? It should have OFF, HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW settings and have one wire in and three out. I just went to 4 places and couldn't find one.

Reply to How can I wire up an old furnace fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net