Discuss I dont believe i heard this !!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sav

Hi everybody,
hope you guys are well and busy.

I was at my local Builder Depot picking up some materials.
Whilst being served, a guy (from eastern europe, juding by his very broken english), barged in and said the follwing to the guy behind the counter.
"My friend, i need wire, twin and bare 10 meters".
The assistant asked what size cable and what it was going to be used for.
His reply was "My friend, I tell you, wire twin and bare for putting on here and putting on there".
I interrupted and asked if he knows what he is buying or if his electrician should come and buy the correct cable.
"You english electricians no good, you too many rules, electrics is only 3 maybe 4 wires in house"
I could not believe what I heard !!!!!
He got his 1.5 t&e and left.
I told the assistant, he should have also bought a fire extinguisher !!!!!

Rant over, have a great evening and dont ever lower your standards.
Sav

Someone is getting some extra central heating when they switch their shower on tonight by the sound of it.

I have definately come to the conclusion that regulation is required when selling cable and electrical fittings.

I've had to rewire some 'east european' sparks work in the past.

Surprised he wanted twin and 'bare' as the lot I had to sort all the CPC's were not used, just cut off.
Everything wired in 3 core and earth ( without the earth) and I mean everything including the 6kW induction hob, not a pretty sight that.
All bought from the local orange shed in 10mtr lengths.

Cheers,
Lofty

God knows, there are so many threads to look at im permantly lost.

This is the Gods honest truth. I was so dumbfounded, annoyed and very angry !!!
There should be some legislation when selling electrical materials (cables, fittings etc) to non electricians.

There should be some legislation when selling electrical materials (cables, fittings etc) to non electricians.

Yep.

I think 'Corgi' came in 20 years ago or more (I know its not called that now).

Why is the Electrical trade so backwards in the UK?

Not enough deaths perhaps?

3c+e 1.0mm....Strange that, I have just removed 4 double sockets spured together from a kitchen in Bury St Edmunds.

Also had the 'bare' cut off!!!

I was also surprised to learn it had been done by a nice eastern European man.

Must be the current cable of choice

Yep.

I think 'Corgi' came in 20 years ago or more (I know its not called that now).

Why is the Electrical trade so backwards in the UK?

Not enough deaths perhaps?

CORGI was established in 1970 Council for Registered Gas Installers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because of THIS Ronan Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After that tower block collapsed, research was done that discovered that if the gas blast hadn't caused the collapse, then a strong wind could have, by causing negative pressure on the opposite side of the building that that the wind was blowing on.

There were several more tower blocks in the country built in the same way as Ronan Point and they had to be reinforced with tie rods. This was in the early days of core drilling & chemical anchors (fixing tie rods with Araldite type resin) & the company I was working for at the time got the contract to do it.

Yep ... I know I'm a mine of useless information !!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Gods honest truth. I was so dumbfounded, annoyed and very angry !!!

The point is that he may well of been carrying out work that doesnt come under part P and if so he can do whatever he likes without complying with any regulations because Bs 7671 is not statutory.....Because of that I do not see how sale of electrical wiring equipment can be resricted to electricians when current laws permit anyone to do it......The only way to proceed on this is to bring ALL electrical installation work under a registration scheme,and then restrict sales to registered electricians.
Calling for the sale of wiring materials to be restricted at the moment is about as pointless as calling for sales of ingredients to be restricted to chefs.

This country is shagged out and its only going to get worse for the masses in the domestic game.These people are getting their feet well under the table and are doing well in the building game in the London areas I'm told.

Glad Ive accepted it and don't give any Part Pee Scheme providers any of my hard earned money.

I've had to rewire some 'east european' sparks work in the past.

Surprised he wanted twin and 'bare' as the lot I had to sort all the CPC's were not used, just cut off.
Everything wired in 3 core and earth ( without the earth) and I mean everything including the 6kW induction hob, not a pretty sight that.
All bought from the local orange shed in 10mtr lengths.

Cheers,
Lofty

3c+e 1.0mm....Strange that, I have just removed 4 double sockets spured together from a kitchen in Bury St Edmunds.

Also had the 'bare' cut off!!!

I was also surprised to learn it had been done by a nice eastern European man.

Must be the current cable of choice

Don't know lads this could be the start of something new here, Use 3 core and earth, and if you have something like a 10kw shower or oven you can double up on the cores to make 3mm and use that pesky bare one to support that neutral thing ............... I think our cousins may have re-wrote the design book .................who need IET and all them pesky regulations when all you need is

1. All installation must be wired in 3 core and eath PVC multicore cable 70c
2 All ligts and sockets use just 2 cores, any colour is good, and cut the other core and that pesky bare one off
3. Everything else use 2 core twisted together in screw hole and that pesky bare one twisted with the other conductor in the screw hole

......................18th edition sorted

Note/Disclaimer This is the views expressed by me and in no way associated with this forum or any of it's members. But as I'm clearly un-hinged I would seek the advice of someone competant, or Telectrix, before attempting this kind of install

Last edited:
when will these eastern europeans realize that the cpc is there for a reason. it's a stripping cord FFS.

If you restrict the sale of T+E then they'll use 3C+E.
If you restrict the sale of 3C+E then they'll use flex.
If you restrict the sale of flex then they'll just by 10m extensions and cut the cable out.
If you restrict the sale of extensions then they'll use telephone cable.
If you restrict the sale of telephone cable then they'll use USB cables.

Don't tell me they wouldn't - I think this thread proves they would!

If you restrict the sale of T+E then they'll use 3C+E.
If you restrict the sale of 3C+E then they'll use flex.
If you restrict the sale of flex then they'll just by 10m extensions and cut the cable out.
If you restrict the sale of extensions then they'll use telephone cable.
If you restrict the sale of telephone cable then they'll use USB cables.

Don't tell me they wouldn't - I think this thread proves they would!

Proving the evolutionary theory that a lack of education is more than compensated for by a keenly developed moral bankruptcy!

Corgi is now deceased it died couple of years back there is a new scheme called "GAS SAFE"

Yes, you're right. Gas Safe it is.

CORGI was a franchise - like railway companies are nowadays - and when the franchise came up for renewal CORGI didn't get it - just like GNER didn't get their farnchise for the East Coast mainline renewed & National Express lost it too.

Many of us who were CORGI rgistered considered the whole outfit to have become too big for its boots & we seemed to be paying a lot of money for not much in return. I know of blokes who refused to renew their subscriptions & dropped gas work altogether choosing instead to fit bathrooms etc.

There is a story that CORGI also got into an argument with the plumbers union (I think) about who could fit boilers & who couldn't. CORGI claimed that a boiler is a gas appliance & therefor only CORGI registered fitters could fit it, & the plumbers argued that as boilers can be fired with oil, solid fuel & even electricity it is a water appliance so a plumber could fit it - all except for the gas connection & flue. They went to court & CORGI lost the case.

Reply to I dont believe i heard this !!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net