Discuss I'll start this week's in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Drugs are a scourge, about 15 years ago there wouldn't have been much drug use in my area due to threat to dealers from paramilitaries, now with the peace process (good thing) the men with wooly faces have left the stage, however this has left the way clear for drugs to flourish, heroin is now available in my area, zombie junkies are up to criminality to fund their habit, personally i believe there should be a bigger crack down on drugs not less.

P.S. i've never taken any illegal drugs in my life

In theory the idea is good But in practise how would it be. Most of the druggies I see on the streets in one of the areas I work in use crime to support the habit they have. How would these legal drugs be sold, would it reduce crime or increase it. I like the idea of getting rid of so called drug lords but I cannot see an easy way of selling these substances. would we have drug shops on the high st ( sorry) the shops themselves would become targets of the addicts and the area would be full of people hustling you for a fiver for a cup of tea. Its bad enough now with skeleton like girls with no teeth and full of spots promising you a good time for fiver. It's a good idea IF it can be done, but It needs a bit of thought behind it.

On X date possession of all currently controlled recreational drugs will cease to be a criminal offence. The government then allow labs to produce the stuff under strict conditions (much like the medical drugs trade now) the labs can sell to government licenced companies (like some substances are sold under control now) who can then sell to the public under similar strict conditions from Y date.
It can be done and it wouldn't be too difficult. I'm sorry to keep banging on about them but Portugal has not seen any increase in what is (laughably) called anti social behaviour since decriminalisation. Quite the opposite in fact, if they can do it why can't we?
There'll always be those who want to seek oblivion and will do anything to attain that goal but I walked through a park yesterday with my grandson at 10 AM there was a bunch of about 15 alcoholics already **** faced. Alcohol is completely legal.

Drugs are a scourge, about 15 years ago there wouldn't have been much drug use in my area due to threat to dealers from paramilitaries, now with the peace process (good thing) the men with wooly faces have left the stage, however this has left the way clear for drugs to flourish, heroin is now available in my area, zombie junkies are up to criminality to fund their habit, personally i believe there should be a bigger crack down on drugs not less.

P.S. i've never taken any illegal drugs in my life
If it were legal there would be less of the criminal element because the government is going to be getting the take from it not dealer A who is hated by dealer B because he's got a bigger slice of the pie.
I'll ask you about the Portugal thing as well.
No one is coming up with anything worthwhile to say about that. That's why I'm banging on about it.
PS, I have but not for a very long time but that is not why I started this.

On X date possession of all currently controlled recreational drugs will cease to be a criminal offence. The government then allow labs to produce the stuff under strict conditions (much like the medical drugs trade now) the labs can sell to government licenced companies (like some substances are sold under control now) who can then sell to the public under similar strict conditions from Y date.
It can be done and it wouldn't be too difficult. I'm sorry to keep banging on about them but Portugal has not seen any increase in what is (laughably) called anti social behaviour since decriminalisation. Quite the opposite in fact, if they can do it why can't we?
There'll always be those who want to seek oblivion and will do anything to attain that goal but I walked through a park yesterday with my grandson at 10 AM there was a bunch of about 15 alcoholics already **** faced. Alcohol is completely legal.

You are on the slippery slope people would view drug dealing as the same as selling counterfeit cigarettes and is merely a tax swindle rather than the crime that it is

Trevor this is over a bloody quote . I can understand if I said I would start Monday and then not turn up but a quote unbelievable
So some ----er is giving your family a hard time over A QUOTE!
PS I'm letting an obvious oversight go unchallenged :)
Your landline provider is obliged to offer a service where incoming calls are intercepted. They ask who they are and what they want then ring you to see if you want to speak to them.
Use it!

No on the radio today was an ex druggy who smoked etc etc for about 10 years and a heroin addict for
15 years . Easier to get drugs more people will take them
Government drugs give you a 100% high, illegAl drugs give you a 110% high so I will still go illegal

You are on the slippery slope people would view drug dealing as the same as selling counterfeit cigarettes and is merely a tax swindle rather than the crime that it is
But the drug dealing is already in the hands of criminals. Are you ok with EIGHT THOUSAND MILLION POUNDS going into crook's pockets?

Having spoken to a very high up police man if the government did what they do in the states as in the government gets a % of the money confiscated from the dealer and the police also get a % of the proceeds for equipment etc etc then more dealers would be caught

If it were legal there would be less of the criminal element because the government is going to be getting the take from it not dealer A who is hated by dealer B because he's got a bigger slice of the pie.
I'll ask you about the Portugal thing as well.
No one is coming up with anything worthwhile to say about that. That's why I'm banging on about it.
PS, I have but not for a very long time but that is not why I started this.

Look at the explosion in the use of illegal highs like mephedrone, the public are that stupid they would believe if a sinstance is legalised then it is not harmful.

Having spoken to a very high up police man if the government did what they do in the states as in the government gets a % of the money confiscated from the dealer and the police also get a % of the proceeds for equipment etc etc then more dealers would be caught
That already happens mate. It's called something like The Proceeds Of Crime Act. On conviction criminals can have all their assets siezed, their houses, cars, bank accounts etc.

I worked in Portugal for 6 months or so just after drugs had been legalised, and speaking to the Portuguese people who I worked with, drug use of any kind was severely frowned upon - if someone said they had smoked a reefer they may as well have said they'd injected Heroin.
Similarly with the Dutch - I've spoken to people from Holland, even from Amsterdam, and they've told me it's only 'losers' who smoke dope; most of the Dutch are against drugs of any kind.

Look at the explosion in the use of illegal highs like mephedrone, the public are that stupid they would believe if a sinstance is legalised then it is not harmful.
Alcohol and tobacco are legal. Do you believe those substances are not harmful?
Possession of solvent based glue and paint is not a criminal offence. Do you believe those substances are not harmful?

20 years ago I would feel sorry for a druggie as not ma.y people knew how addictive it was but nowadays everybody knows it's addictive so if you take It you have to be thick. If you take it and your hooked then what am I supposed to do about it

I worked in Portugal for 6 months or so just after drugs had been legalised, and speaking to the Portuguese people who I worked with, drug use of any kind was severely frowned upon - if someone said they had smoked a reefer they may as well have said they'd injected Heroin.
Similarly with the Dutch - I've spoken to people from Holland, even from Amsterdam, and they've told me it's only 'losers' who smoke dope; most of the Dutch are against drugs of any kind.
That pretty much goes with the whole european dignity and control, to legalise drugs to the irish would be a free for all, and the brits are cut from the same cloth when it comes to self control

20 years ago I would feel sorry for a druggie as not ma.y people knew how addictive it was but nowadays everybody knows it's addictive so if you take It you have to be thick. If you take it and your hooked then what am I supposed to do about it
You're not supposed to do anything about it but at present that person's addiction is financing other criminality. Would it not be better to use the revenue from it for good?
Education programmes which would stop people wanting to try it. Nurses, doctors, teachers, police officers etc etc.

That pretty much goes with the whole european dignity and control, to legalise drugs to the irish would be a free for all, and the brits are cut from the same cloth when it comes to self control
So are you saying we need a nanny state to look after us all?

Reply to I'll start this week's in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net