Discuss Installing outdoor socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mark452

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

My aim is to have an outdoor socket sited near a new garden structure approximately 5 metres from the back of the house. SWA will be used for the entire run.

I have an existing external socket (IP66 without RCD) on the back of my house fitted by an electrician during a kitchen refit. It is connected to the ring used for my utility. The CU is RCD protected. I want to connect to this supply.

I have IP66 sockets and a junction box with external grade glands etc. About half of the SWA run is underground and the rest will be run around an external wall using SWA clamps.

All i would like to know is if i need to install any external safety devices for this run of SWA

Thanks

if the existing outside socket is RCD protected, then no further RCD is required. However, if the existing socket is a spur off the ring, you run into the problem of having 2 outlets on an unfused spur. if it's part of the ring, though, no problem in spurring off it. does the existing socket have one or 2 cables in it?

Hi Telectrix

Thanks for your reply

The outdoor socket has 2 cables so it is wiring into the ring and not a spur.

Would you suggest any extra device being introduced before the power gets to its ultimate destination? It is my intention to wire straight into the mains as a spur. not to try and put a plug on the end of the SWA (which is pretty impossible really).

you don't need additional RCD protection as if you fitted one and there was a fault, either RCD may trip. a means of isolating the SWA by means of a double pole Fused Connection Unit ( IP rated for outdoors) would be advantageous .

Hi.I intend installing an socket on an extrenal wall next to kitchen window.
I aim to drill through wall,use 1ml 3core cable, into 3 pin plug with 13amp fuse.The socket will only be used for lawn mower,pressure washer,nothing heavier than that.

on a 13A plug fuse, you need to use 1.5mm cable.

correct. 1.0mm is only good for 11A if enclosed. best to have cable capable of carrying a bit more thaan the fuse rating as a 13A fuse will withstand more than 13A for short periods. e.g. at 19A it will take almost an hour to blow.

Cable like this is OK for outside use, and will (just) fit a 13A plug:

Reply to Installing outdoor socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net