Discuss Is this earthed in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Not used a meter before so following videos that can't talk back isn't helping me.
Trying to test basic stuff I put on v resistance and 1 to plug live other on the case of the fish light and get a reading same on negative but nothing on earth.....

Did a test live plug to the driver's live wire with no reading too so guess am doing sum in wrong lol.

The light works I just want test my work for
Safety . Making sure it's earthed.
Each led has same wattage milliamp etc.
Thermal runaway.
And test whole units wattage so can record dimmer positions to a figure.

Can anyone else advise me ? You tubes evil...or direct me to a trusted video

Attachments

• 20211104_091428.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211104_091331.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211104_091322.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 20
Take the piece of card off the plug for a start ?
Can't make out what the reading is in units - ohms, kilohms, megohms?
is it supposed to be a double insulated fitting (square within a square symbol) or supposed to be earthed?

I suspect you're trying to test an LED driver, not the easiest thing to learn on as their configuration can give confusing results when testing L&N to earth.

Start on something simple like an extension lead, no electronics to give confusing results, but try to use one without a neon light first.

and try a 1 day photography course. biassed on focussing image. ☺️☺️

Before you do any resistance measuring, touch the meter leads together and note the value, deduct that from any reading you get on a circuit.
Budget meters don't normally have adjustment to Zero out lead resistance.

Take the piece of card off the plug for a start ?
Can't make out what the reading is in units - ohms, kilohms, megohms?
is it supposed to be a double insulated fitting (square within a square symbol) or supposed to be earthed?
That will invalidate the warranty

I only have an old camera phone atm I broke my big phone
This meter does have a zeroing feature it's from Farnell.
And I left the card on so u could see what I am bloody looking at cant win here lol

I am trying to basic test safety of my item I diyed. I know it is safe or assume. ..

I just wanted help understanding how to get readings to
Check if it's earthed and not live in heard story's of a guy made his pannel touched it and hit the roof . I don't want to touch it to figure it out.

Then was told to test thermal runaway on strips..that there not drawing endlessly

And my dimming 100ohm pot has no numbers so I hoped to list the wattage as I turn it down.

Also hoped to read total wattage and see what milliamp it is running at to compare to my paper maths ...it should be equal 800ma but unless I test and see each at that I've no idea for sure that one may be 1000a and another 700ma except that maths and a guy said it would be. I want to see it.

Check earth continuity on ohms from center pin to any exposed metal on the fitting (expect less than 0.5 ohms if the lead is quite short) , measuring amps and by definition watts is not something you should attempt with a meter (because it needs to go in series) .many people have blown up there new meters or worse trying this. If you want to measure instant power and power factor or amps use a plug in tester (like a killa watt device)

Reply to Is this earthed in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net