Discuss JIB grading in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

so why does the am2 exist then like i said when i regraded the am2 was NEEDED i bet if you sent the forms off youd get them sent back asking for the am2 cert i wouldnt trust a random person on the phone

AM2 exists because it is required to complete the NVQ on the Apprentice framework. Therefore I see no reason why if the NVQ Level 3 has been achieved without the AM2 outside the JIB Apprentice Training Scheme that the AM2 would necessarily be required.

so no need to prove competence if youve not sat an apprenticeship and just done it yourself? something fishy there we all know the nvq is a load of bull so all your doing is sitting the easy 2330 exams (or new equivalent) pretending you work for a firm to flimp the easy nvq and not even proving your competence at the end of it? whatever you think is required im glad i sat the am2 proof under pressure that im competent and not just avoiding it

just read on the net that you now need the am2 to complete yor qualifications... so to all you self qualified easy route taking people who think that sitting the multichoice exams and doing the easy nvq 3 is enough to be qualified i disagree why would you think thats enough? no wonder the industry is going down the pan shame on you lol
Originally part of the pre-NVQ assessments, the AM2 is an independently administered practical exam and multiple choice test that take place at various centres across the country. The AM2 now forms the final unit of the C&G2357 qualification (2357-399) and must be completed to gain the whole qualification.
Before a student will be allowed to sit the AM2, a mandatory checklist sill be completed to ensure that the student is ready to take the test. The test lasts between 2 and 2 and a half days (16.5 hours) and there will be four distinct sections.

The AM2 has also been butchered beyond recognition, with the areas that set the men from the boys being dropped in favour so called 'practices of the modern day electrician'.

A load of bull IMO, steel conduit is still used today, as is MI. Also IMO, it's these 2 areas that students should be tested on not PVC trunking & conduit with a bit of cat5 thrown in.

But obviously that would make the test too hard and we can't have that can we............

The AM2 has also been butchered beyond recognition, with the areas that set the men from the boys being dropped in favour so called 'practices of the modern day electrician'.

A load of bull IMO, steel conduit is still used today, as is MI. Also IMO, it's these 2 areas that students should be tested on not PVC trunking & conduit with a bit of cat5 thrown in.

But obviously that would make the test too hard and we can't have that can we............

a valid opinion, but its still a rigorous test, I know having done it and failed the testing. retook section on Thursday waiting for results now.

a valid opinion, but its still a rigorous test, I know having done it and failed the testing. retook section on Thursday waiting for results now.

To be fair to yourself, you passed the composite install though, yes??.... To come unstuck on the insp & test carries no shame whatsoever as, so far, this is one area that remains unchanged and rightly so as it is the most important IMO.

To be fair to yourself, you passed the composite install though, yes??.... To come unstuck on the insp & test carries no shame whatsoever as, so far, this is one area that remains unchanged and rightly so as it is the most important IMO.

Yes, I passed evrything else and only failed on silly mistakes like not disconnecting bonding conductors to test continuity (parallel paths) and forgot to r2 test boiler and pump although I did all the other components of the central heating system. Anyways, I had to wait a whole month, and pay another £160 to do section B again, which I did on Thursday and just had the results this morning and I passed so well done me.

I will contact the college next week and hopefully get them to send off for my NVQ3 as I have written up my site diary already. Everyone seems to think the diary is a load of BS, but it is quite involved if you do it properly, and the assessors come out to site and see you work. You have to write up 8 units 3 times, and in my case do the AM2 as well/

Nevertheless there will still be some who say I'm not a spark because I didn't do a fully indentured apprenticeship! You can't win!

And you don't need the AM2 to get a JIB card. Go on the flippin website and it's all there for your viewing pleasure Mr P daniels so there.

Yes, I passed evrything else and only failed on silly mistakes like not disconnecting bonding conductors to test continuity (parallel paths) and forgot to r2 test boiler and pump although I did all the other components of the central heating system. Anyways, I had to wait a whole month, and pay another £160 to do section B again, which I did on Thursday and just had the results this morning and I passed so well done me.

I will contact the college next week and hopefully get them to send off for my NVQ3 as I have written up my site diary already. Everyone seems to think the diary is a load of BS, but it is quite involved if you do it properly, and the assessors come out to site and see you work. You have to write up 8 units 3 times, and in my case do the AM2 as well/

Nevertheless there will still be some who say I'm not a spark because I didn't do a fully indentured apprenticeship! You can't win!

And you don't need the AM2 to get a JIB card. Go on the flippin website and it's all there for your viewing pleasure Mr P daniels so there.

What was that test voltz?

basically you do your r1 + r2 at the central heating system spur, but you can't do it at the components because you can only get a live when switched via the control centre if you get what I mean. So to confirm the presence of an earth, you simply do method 2 from the spur to each of the following: wiring centre, 2 way programmer, stat, solar controller, solar pump, central heating pump and boiler. The pump and boiler are located at low level, everything else is above the trunking. So i tested for an earth at all the high level stuff and forgot the boiler. Silly I know, but its 3 days of nerve wracking hell with people watching every move and quizzing you, and all the time I'm conscious that I've paid £800 for it and taken a week unpaid off work, and I don't want to screw it up. so I made a mistake or two that I paid for.

You don't need the AM2 if you were enrolled on the nvq before the 31st March 2011. That date might have changed now because I think they have extended it.

Sent from my U8180 using Tapatalk

the am2 is allowed to be droped for people who had proven site experience where passing the practical am2 was obviously not needed, this was supposed to be proven by references from employers etc and mainly for anyone not on an apprentiship

you need the am2 to be a jib recognised spark end of take it from a jib card holder whos done all the fforms etc i agree with having the am2 as it is an exam of competency once youve got it no one can argue othertwise

you dont have to have the 17th aslong as you have 2330 + nvq 3 and the am2 you will be graded as an electrician i recommend the 17th update (unless you have equivalent) as its written on the back with the list of quals you have.

i dont see the problem are people scared to sit the am2????

I was graded as an approved electrician without sitting the AM2.
My qualifications at the time of applying, which was a few years ago was C&G Pts 1&2 (the old qualification from 22 years ago), C&G 2382, C&G2391 and the ECS assessment along with 20 years of experience in a wide range of electrical installations.

Which reminds me, I need to update it as it's expired!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to JIB grading in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net