Discuss JIB grading in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you have been "Payed off" as in made redundant ,services no longer required as opposed to "layed off" ie we dont have enough work but will take you back in a couple of weeks
If PayedOFf and claiming JSA Im sure the broo would put you through yout AM2 so long as you could PROVE it would enhance your prospects of full time employment
Either way Best of luck with your job seeking it is **** out there right now and personaly I can only see it getting worse

you need the am2 to be a jib recognised spark end of take it from a jib card holder whos done all the fforms etc i agree with having the am2 as it is an exam of competency once youve got it no one can argue othertwise

you dont have to have the 17th aslong as you have 2330 + nvq 3 and the am2 you will be graded as an electrician i recommend the 17th update (unless you have equivalent) as its written on the back with the list of quals you have.

i dont see the problem are people scared to sit the am2????

I phoned the JIB yesterday and they said that all is required to be graded as an electrician is 2330 2+3 and NVQ3

Am going to do the AM2 anyway as it will be beneficial to me seeing as I've gone the OLCI route of training

To be graded "installation electrician" you need 17th edition, it actually says this on the form

Did they say they would definatly grade you electrician without am2?

To be graded "installation electrician" you need 17th edition, it actually says this on the form

Did they say they would definatly grade you electrician without am2?

Yep, electrician. I posted up the link earlier but there is a difference on the ECS and JIB website as to gradings, I'm guessing the ECS is more upto date?

Could also be like everything else in this business (JIB C&G's etc..) no one knows what they're are talking about and are making it up as they go along

In all fairness the whole thing is a farce and form filling is ridiculous, it needs to be milked down and a bit more clear

They usually print what they like on the back too, i sent everything i had and they only wrote 17th Edition and NVQ 3 on the back

In all fairness the whole thing is a farce and form filling is ridiculous, it needs to be milked down and a bit more clear

They usually print what they like on the back too, i sent everything i had and they only wrote 17th Edition and NVQ 3 on the back

Thats because you can't get the NVQ 3 without the underpinning knowledge of the 2330. If your card says NVQ 3 it doesn't need to say 2330 because its a part of it.

you need the am2 to be a jib recognised spark end of take it from a jib card holder whos done all the fforms etc i agree with having the am2 as it is an exam of competency once youve got it no one can argue othertwise

you dont have to have the 17th aslong as you have 2330 + nvq 3 and the am2 you will be graded as an electrician i recommend the 17th update (unless you have equivalent) as its written on the back with the list of quals you have.

i dont see the problem are people scared to sit the am2????

End of? Not really seeing as you're WRONG about that.

You can get 2356 NVQ3 with C&G 2360 PT1&2

That\s what I said in a roundabout way. The 2330 level 2 and 3 replaced the 2360 part 1 and 2. They got rid of the Am1 at the same time I believe. So the qualifications are basically the same, even if the 2330 is a bit easier, it still delivers the same key fundamental underpinning knowledge, that along with the Site experience (diary) forms the NVQ 3. As it happens, the college that I am using for my NVQ 3 requires the am2 which I have taken and awaiting results. i was happy enough to do the exam as I believe it does have it's own credentials.

As I have stated before though, there are companies out there that you can complete the NVQ with that do not require the AM2. And neither does the JIB.

END OF.

When I applied for my card some 6 years ago,
All I remember sending off were copies of my 2360 1&2, 2381 and the ECS H&S certificate.
The card came back with the grade 'Installation Electrician', and all it had on the reverse was my 2381.
Since then, I've renewed twice, it now shows the 2382 on the reverse.
Never done an NVQ.
Although I have the AM2, I'm pretty sure that I never sent a copy off, but I have heard that sometimes the AM2 is accepted instead of an NVQ3?
The JIB appear to make it up as they go along.
Worse than me in that respect!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I applied for my card some 6 years ago,
All I remember sending off were copies of my 2360 1&2, 2381 and the ECS H&S certificate.
The card came back with the grade 'Installation Electrician', and all it had on the reverse was my 2381.
Since then, I've renewed twice, it now shows the 2382 on the reverse.
Never done an NVQ.
Although I have the AM2, I'm pretty sure that I never sent a copy off, but I have heard that sometimes the AM2 is accepted instead of an NVQ3?
The JIB appear to make it up as they go along.
Worse than me in that respect!

You guys that got your first cards before the NVQ3 don't have to do it, but you probably did need the AM2. Nowadays, they have switched preference to the NVQ3 to award 'electrician' status. Without the nvq 3 all new sparks, AM2 or not, will only get 'electrical improver' grade.

For all the naysayers out there, you have the internet. Go on the JIB website, then come on here again and tell me I'm wrong. And please remember...I DON'T MAKE THE RULES!.

Cheers,

i got my new ecs a few month back,grade installation electrcian,additional security systems on front,on reverse it say completed apprenticeship and nvq level 3 i cant remember doing a nvq came out my time 92,we were sent on a few courses at work the last one being in 96 when we were sent to college as a refresher as we mainly done marine which was like the am2 test,i can only presume that was a nvq test

As we speak the postman is about to deliver my 1st ever ECS card, should arrive in the next 3-4 days.
I do not have apprenticeship papers, AM1 or AM2
I do have 25 years experience, 17th edition, 2391, NVQ3 and employer references.

Any bets on what grade?

As we speak the postman is about to deliver my 1st ever ECS card, should arrive in the next 3-4 days.
I do have 25 years experience, 17th edition, 2391, NVQ3 and employer references.

Any bets on what grade?

could be anything,i put 5 disciplines down on my ecs card,only got 2..i spent 90% of my time on ships and panel building,i got spark + alarms..

Any bets on what grade?

I would image your guess is as good as anyone else's!!! Some daft title i expect, one that probably bears no resemblance to your skills.... lol!!!

End of? Not really seeing as you're WRONG about that.

i stand corrected then (apparently) i sat an apprenticeship for jib graded company my question then out of interest if you know so much why does the am2 exist if its not necessary?? if it wasnt required then it wouldnt exist ?? surely?? im confused because when i had my forms for my jib regrading from apprentice to electrician i needed the am2 cert and completion of apprenticeship cert along with my 2330 and 17th update (wasnt required but i have it) so tbh im not convinced that you are right unless its changed VERY recently have you actually had the forms or rang them? im guessing not and your just assuming

i stand corrected then (apparently) i sat an apprenticeship for jib graded company my question then out of interest if you know so much why does the am2 exist if its not necessary?? if it wasnt required then it wouldnt exist ?? surely?? im confused because when i had my forms for my jib regrading from apprentice to electrician i needed the am2 cert and completion of apprenticeship cert along with my 2330 and 17th update (wasnt required but i have it) so tbh im not convinced that you are right unless its changed VERY recently have you actually had the forms or rang them? im guessing not and your just assuming
i always thought the am2 was a must.

Reply to JIB grading in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net