Discuss Jobs that require downlights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
When ever you have a job that requires donlights, do you explain to the customer about the different types on the market regards cost savings ect, eg LED/CFLs instead of halogen, or do you just do the quote with what ever kind you usually fit.

Have tried now on a few occasions to get the customer to go down the enrgy efficient route of CFL or LED, but no chance they just go for the halogen jobbies. Probably down to the cost I know.

Its just that lately everywhere you look theres a report on halogen spot light cause fire and the like and has got me wondering about using them.:eek:

I go through it with them on every occasion, and very often they will intend to get the LED ones in the future.
The problem is definitely the cost (off the top of my head a LED GU10 is something like £15-20,a lamp, for me anyways). Some clients however, are fed up with their existing halogens blowing, and they're more easily converted.

On another note, I wired up a house last year which was being refurbished to let. I sneakily suggested installing pendants on the stairwells and landings that would only accommodate CFL's. They went in great and the tenant thought that they were a really smart idea, until his wife had to find lampshades she liked (the base of the lamp holder is bigger). They very nearly came down, but my wife spotted some that fitted when we were focus one time which saved the day.
Building inspector was impressed with the consideration in my design :p

Last edited:
YES ITS JUST THE COST THAT KILLS IT.
but ive got a few people to go for it and carry a few sorts to show customers.
some are more conserned with the quality of light rather than just cost..
but these are a bit few and far between..mostly older people with poor vision and that.
the robus led gu10 multi led and chip tec lamps seem to be good and can replace a 35-50w halogen.

anyone else got thoughts on this

i give them the options and let them choose. depending on the customer depends whether they bother to listen. luckly enough the ones i have had don`t just go for the cheapest option they normally ask "what would you install in yours"

i give them the options and let them choose. depending on the customer depends whether they bother to listen. luckly enough the ones i have had don`t just go for the cheapest option they normally ask "what would you install in yours"

Everytime I'm asked that I shoot myself in the foot and say 'I wouldn't install downlighters'. It's like a bad habit, or instinct or something.

Then they ask me why, and I keep shooting myself in the foot.

I go through it with them on every occasion, and very often they will intend to get the LED ones in the future.
The problem is definitely the cost (off the top of my head a LED GU10 is something like £15-20,a lamp, for me anyways). Some clients however, are fed up with their existing halogens blowing, and they're more easily converted.

Do you know of any good value GU10 LED's that fit existing GU10 50w lamp holders preferably fire rated and dimmable

I always go for a particular type that 9/10 is halogen GU10 with 90 mins fire rated..! i found a design that i like and can work with very easy! they are in screwy fix for 15 quid or elecy fix for 7-8 quid..! they are good quality and would have them in my house any day!!

I have a CFL and a halogen GU10 fire rated down lights with a lead and plug on each as demo lights and I have both cheap and expensive GU10 led lamps and halogens which I lend to the customers to see which lamps they prefer. I seem to be selling a few more of the CFL's since using the demo lights and a couple of customers have opted for the cheap cold white multi led's. I only offer CFL's or LED's for plastic ceilings or soffits.

Reply to Jobs that require downlights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net