Search the forum,

Discuss Joint in a bonding cable. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rob121

Evening All,
Posted a thread on here a few months back reagrding not being able to find a bonding clamp on the water supply. Basically im doing my NIC DIS, ive done one main job (new build) and second job was going to be adding an additional circuit at home (single socket under consumer unit :wink5:). From the unit theres 2 bonding cables (10mm), one runs to gas meter, access to connection, verified etc. Seperate cable goes to water supply but cant access clamp as its all been boxed in. I cut a few holes to try and find it but no luck (last attempt resulted in hot water pipe being nicked, another job to sort out now!). I can see the cable run down the wall next to the boiler then gets plastered over and obv goes behind boxing. My question is, can I cut the bonding cable and join it to a new length with a new clamp on the supply pipe? As far as im concerned you CANT and bonding cables have to be one continious length. I just want to check because it would save me a lot of grief. The joint would be accessible as it would be in the boiler cupboard. I was thing something along the lines of a earth terminal block?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Rob

Thanks a lot for the replies. Seems like crimping will be the easiest answer. Just going off track slightly, when terminating earthing conductor at an earth rod, I was taught to strip the cable and wrap between the 2 nuts and tighten. Is this method acceptable? Or does it have to be crimped? Only reason I ask if the t**t who showed me has some pretty shoddy methods as I came to realise.

Cheers folks!

Rob

Would you rather than cutting and crimping the cable, be able to strip some of the installation off, and then loop the bare conductor the ther terminal on the new earth clamp?

cut n crimp This question keeps arising defining "Continuous" is it
A one unbroken length stripped and bent round screws at earth clapms ( some may not clamp all cores and puts pressure on cores and possibly scores cores when tightening screw"
B one length that has electrical continuity from its start to its finish proved by testing Made off with crimped lugs at earth clamps ( no risk of damage to conductors) ( down side of this method is PLUMBERS who undo screw n "Forget" to reconect )
Personaly I prefer method B making sure all " Saftey earth connection " Lables are on

Reply to Joint in a bonding cable. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net