Discuss Jst crimping tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

edexlab

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm looking for a basic JST (Japanese solderless terminal or uninsulated crimp, ) crimper "pliers" rather than ratchet and I don't want to spend too much, I have a MC4 crimper which does the job but it's too heavy to take on a plane! Plus we don't use them that much so it's more on the off chance it's required
I've seen plenty of cheap and cheerful ones online but I know someone that ordered one but it's useless!
So I'm after recommendations if possible
Crimp size most used is 1.2/1.3 mm I think

uploadfromtaptalk1457464775049.jpeg for this type terminals (for those who don't know )

uploadfromtaptalk1457465562329.jpegthanks for the link spin must admit I haven't looked at automotive type crimpers ,
I'll borrow some and see what they're like
This is the one my mate has same as on that site and it's not that good, keeps giving a one sided crimp if that makes sense

Not tried the non-ratchet crimpers myself.
Can't see the jaws properly in the picture, can't see whether they crimp both sets of tangs in one go, or whether you have to do each set individually?
Got a ratchet crimpers from a company in the States called Accel, which has 3 sets of interchangeable jaws. Insulated, non-insulated and HT/battery terminals.
Weight may be a problem though?

Amlu do you have these?
I've seen lots of these online so finding them isn't a problem and like I said it'd be nice to get a recommendation from someone who has tried some ,rather than buying them to find they don't cut the mustard!

I'm waiting to get a price on a set of dies for my crimper if they're still available!

The ones I've used at work aren't bad just very expensive for a bit of stamped metal!!

However the forming profile is visibly better than the cheap jobs

They do one set of the tangs at a time , but the pliers type obviously start to form one side slightly before the other due to the angle of closure which so far on the cheaper type make it difficult to get a good even crimp!

Are you allowed to use the non-ratchet type? Problem is they're not usually adjustable or calibratable and as you've found out most of them are aimed at DIY'ers and the quality is poor so we steer clear of them.

Last edited:
Hello edexlab
Just googled for you and have now realised how much klein tools cost in the UK. Don't bother. They are not worth that sort of money . Onboard we have piles of them laying around as they are used so infrequently.

No problem with ratchet normally as of course this will usually give a much better result, its weight limitations for flying
It's literally a back up as these plugs are done in the build but when we go to the job occasionally there's a problem and the plugs need redoing it's just easier to take a tool than to try and source one locally especially in the far east,

Hello edexlab
Just googled for you and have now realised how much klein tools cost in the UK. Don't bother. They are not worth that sort of money . Onboard we have piles of them laying around as they are used so infrequently.
If they're never used it kind of suggests something about the quality of this make, had a US trip recently and looked at some klein gear and wasn't all that impressed tbh

Marvo thanks for that I've just ordered a knipex pliers similar to the facom so I'll give then a try, hopefully they'll be good enough and as they have the strippers and bolt cutting aspect could well replace my wire strippers which would be good weight wise!
Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Ironic that crimp tools for Japanese connectors are hard to obtain in the Far East.
Not sure if the Molex crimpers would be ideal for Jap connectors. Using Jap crimpers on Molex connectors doesn't produce great results.
As for RS prices, I once purchased some insulated ratchet crimpers from SnapOn which were considerably cheaper than those my then boss purchased from RS. Also, the RS crimper, only made an indent on one side of the tool, with the other side of the tool just shaping the skirt of the crimp insulation.

Reply to Jst crimping tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net