Discuss Kitchen Downlight Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ashleyjh

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there

I have 8 downlights in my kitchen, 6 on one switch and 2 on another (not sure why), I've replaced the downlights on the 6 and they work fine. The 2 I'm having trouble with.

School boy error but as I was untangling the mess that was behind the light I didn't pay attention to the way the old light was wired. Attached is a picture of wiring as is, can anyone help me get from this to a working light.

1000019197.jpg

Are the wires in the choc block as they were originally?

You really need some test equipment to check what is going on, eg a multimeter.
And it goes without saying make sure everything is off and dead while working on it. Followed by the formal response that to fix this properly, all single insulated conductors need to be contained in an enclosure, including the choc block, preferably with cables clamped, and conductors that may be live or switched live should have coloured sleeving of the correct colour (eg the blue of the lightswitch cable should be sleeved brown) etc. etc.

But using a crystal ball, and based on the colours as showing on my tablet, and my telepathic intuition which tells me I should not be posting this, the illustration below might (no guarantee, and at your risk) be an option:

(NB you might just try wiring the first light without the cable to the second to see if this is correct)

IMG_0387.jpeg

Reply to Kitchen Downlight Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I have an electrician over and he took over from an incompetent builder. The builder already installed the wiring but the electrician told me...
Replies
Views
Hi all, DIY'er here looking for a bit of advice so please go easy on me. In my dining room there is an existing single pendant and i would like...
Replies
Views
I have two downlights in my hall with MR16 bulbs. These are now leds, obviously in the past they were halogens. The fittings are really old and...
Replies
Views
Hi all I've been changing the halogen downlighters in my house to LED's. I have three rooms that use dimmers, two of them have two switches each...
Replies
Views
Hi, asking for a friend in Australia. She wants to install two Pendant lights over a kitchen island and four downlights all on the same switch...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock