Discuss Landlords and amendment 3 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Blademan_98

An acquaintance of mine who is a landlord, just emailed me to tell me:
One of his properties 'failed' its EICR and requires a new CU.
I've asked him to send me the report but it sounds like he is having to have a new CU because the old one is plastic.
Now, is that because of the rental status or is it because of over zealous reporting?
I thought that it should only be C3 at best?
I'll let you know what the report says when I receive it.
Cheers
B

He could always have a metal enclosure built round the existing CU. That will pee off the over zealous person who did the report. Probably will be cheaper as well.

I've just completed an EICR for a landlord and given him a C3 for exactly the same thing. It didn't feel right putting it as a C3 but 4.4 in the inspection schedule specifically indicates reg 421.1.201 so it has to be in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't be putting it as a C2 if it was just plastic with no other problems.

I would code 3 Plastic boards. After all if you have just carried out an EICR you would of checked the tightness of all connections an checked for any signs of thermal damage, so how could you give it a code 2 if these checks are all Satisfactory

Ok, I have received the report. His reason is because there are no RCDs and it is an old CU.
That's probably a good call in a rental property.
I posted without the full facts, my bad sorry!
Cheers
B

That's what I was thinking of, it's the only piece of official literature I've actually seen that gives us any clue to codings. I only core a c3 if it's under stairs or in an escape route, mention it but no code anywhere else.

If all sparks used the codes per the BPG then there would be less confusion in the industry and with customers!

If all sparks used the codes per the BPG then there would be less confusion in the industry and with customers!
Yes this is great for the standard observation buts it the more obscure ones when you find somthing not installed as you would expect and you are about to give it a code 1, but when you investigate in further you find it is perfectly safe and does not break any regs , a lot of it down to experience , text books don't have all the answer.

Reply to Landlords and amendment 3 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net