Discuss Late payments in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all,

Just wondering how long you would wait on a payment and how long before you send a reminder and what sort of thing would you send as a reminder? Just wondering as I've got a couple that have been a couple of weeks, not that long I know, but don't want to leave it too long as one is for a quite large amount (to me) and whilst I can manage without it I don't want it to rumble on.

Many thanks
Rob

What industry sector you working 'domest, commercial etc)?
What business size is your customer (If applicable)?
What are your terms for payment?

Domestic, well off cust. Naively perhaps don't have any terms although my understanding is that unless you agree a payment date the cust must pay within 30 days of the invoice (that's according to gov.co.uk at least).

Will put a payment due date on invoices going forward, thus far have had good payers and hasn't been an issue although I realise this will not always be the case!

Evening all,

Just wondering how long you would wait on a payment and how long before you send a reminder and what sort of thing would you send as a reminder? Just wondering as I've got a couple that have been a couple of weeks, not that long I know, but don't want to leave it too long as one is for a quite large amount (to me) and whilst I can manage without it I don't want it to rumble on.

Many thanks
Rob

Plenty of info here >>>>>>http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...earch.php?searchid=3586445&ss=7184j3278028j20 <<<<<<<<

Search and ye shall find!!! ;)

Put a payment term at the bottom of your invoices of 28days if just domestic then send a copy of the invoice with a reminder cover note but do not word it negatively and print you contact details with a note saying 'Don't hesitate to contact you if you wish to discuss the above invoice'.

Give it another 2-weeks and make direct contact either by phone or go to see them, again be polite, ask if there is any issue or problem paying your bill that could be resolved with a 5min chat... ask for the bill to be settled withi the next 7 days and express they are 21 - days overdue already -- end the conversation on good terms do not get demanding.

If no payment within 10-days then send a final demand for immediate payment with a sterner worded letter, call them 48hrs later and express you are passing the owed money onto a 3rd party 'Debt collecting agency' and they will pay yourself in full and seek to collect the money + additional costs for their time and services 'typically a few hundred quid for the first visit'

This usually is what gets the truth (which cant be discussed) or a immediate payment.

NOTE!!! this is for domestic only ... commercial and industrial customers work differently and you need to discuss their payment terms before taking on the work, either make an arrangement beforehand or even discuss a 5% / 10% discount for early payment.. many of my larger customers pay on 8 weeks but some pay on 12 weeks, this is not uncommon and you need to ensure you can ride this payment term as pestering accounts for them to change their payment terms just for you can have negative impact on future works.

Last edited:
Just to add to Darkwood's excellent post, ask the commercial customers when their invoice cut off date is and what date the payment will be made. This could save you an extra 30 days without payment if yo dont get your invoice in on time.

Those are old threads!

I ask for payment within 14 days, although those are mainly agencies and contracting companies - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your wages within this time. I'd wait another week before sending out a reminder - basically the same invoice with 'Reminder' instead if 'Invoice' at the top.

Those are old threads!

I ask for payment within 14 days, although those are mainly agencies and contracting companies - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your wages within this time. I'd wait another week before sending out a reminder - basically the same invoice with 'Reminder' instead if 'Invoice' at the top.

They certainly are old threads but still very relevant all the same!!!

You'll find the very same answers in those "old threads" to the ones you're seeing on this "new thread" now.

Will put a payment due date on invoices going forward, thus far have had good payers and hasn't been an issue although I realise this will not always be the case!

Not much point having it on the invoice if you haven't agreed it with the customer beforehand!

Late payers go with the territory of running your own business.

You need cash in the bank to cover bills due and to allow for late payers. My rule of thumb is to have 1 months profit in the bank at the end of the month after you've paid your bills and your salary.

Put a payment term at the bottom of your invoices of 28days if just domestic then send a copy of the invoice with a reminder cover note but do not word it negatively and print you contact details with a note saying 'Don't hesitate to contact you if you wish to discuss the above invoice'.

Give it another 2-weeks and make direct contact either by phone or go to see them, again be polite, ask if there is any issue or problem paying your bill that could be resolved with a 5min chat... ask for the bill to be settled withi the next 7 days and express they are 21 - days overdue already -- end the conversation on good terms do not get demanding.

If no payment within 10-days then send a final demand for immediate payment with a sterner worded letter, call them 48hrs later and express you are passing the owed money onto a 3rd party 'Debt collecting agency' and they will pay yourself in full and seek to collect the money + additional costs for their time and services 'typically a few hundred quid for the first visit'

This usually is what gets the truth (which cant be discussed) or a immediate payment.

NOTE!!! this is for domestic only ... commercial and industrial customers work differently and you need to discuss their payment terms before taking on the work, either make an arrangement beforehand or even discuss a 5% / 10% discount for early payment.. many of my larger customers pay on 8 weeks but some pay on 12 weeks, this is not uncommon and you need to ensure you can ride this payment term as pestering accounts for them to change their payment terms just for you can have negative impact on future works.

Maybe i am being naive here but why should commercial customers pay you on THEIR terms. Surely it should be the other way round. Usually every invoice i receive requests payment in 7 days.

Everytime I take my car to the garage they want paying when i collect the vehicle.

Its how business works some do pay promptly but most have their own accounting department and payment terms.. when a company gets over a certain size they need longer to process invoices from the like of yourselves and suppliers and thus you get a delay on payments.

You are right in the fact you are providing them with a service so should be to your terms but arguing the tosh with them will lose you customers in the long term.

Have you issued the customer with the certificates yet ? I remember asking the question on here a while ago about late payments. And someone mentioned to me about a job not being complete until payment is made, and then certs can be issued. Your not supposed to do it, but I do. If that don't work, brush the dust off the base ball bat !!!!

Have you issued the customer with the certificates yet ? I remember asking the question on here a while ago about late payments. And someone mentioned to me about a job not being complete until payment is made, and then certs can be issued. Your not supposed to do it, but I do. If that don't work, brush the dust off the base ball bat !!!!

Yes! Usually I hang on to them until payment but the one time I don't...! Handed it over on completion as there was an 8 page report involved and didn't want to pay for posting it. Think they will pay when they are good and ready!

Reply to Late payments in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net