Discuss LED light in bathroom flashes when extractor fan TP pole switch is closed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just fitted the manrose humidity/timer remote unit into a bathroom (see pic below)

LED light in bathroom flashes when extractor fan TP pole switch is closed. LED flashes - EletriciansForums.net

When I switch the LED bathroom light off, it starts flashing. If I switch the TP switch for the extractor fan off it stops flashing. This only started happening when I introduced the humidity/timer remote unit.

I could understand if the LED light stayed on dimly, but why is it flashing? My idea was to fit a 230V snubber across L-N of the light, would this work? Is there a particular rated snubber that I need?

Could I just fit 2 x 160Kohm 1/4w (230V) resistors across L-N at the lamp?

Would these be suitable:

1. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...Vf7l0_PK95NUwqfCbCLK7uDq1xrzYX9EaArUHEALw_wcB

2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Snub...ED-Bulbs-STOPS-Nausea-Migraines-/324163668142

3. https://cpc.farnell.com/ampohm-woun...-100/contact-suppressor-0-1uf-100r/dp/FT00715

Cheers :)

seems likely it's the fan controller causing the problem. snubber would be your first shot. maybe a comined R/C snubber.

seems likely it's the fan controller causing the problem. snubber would be your first shot. maybe a comined R/C snubber.
Do you fit them as shown in my diagram Tel? I.e across line and neutral at the lamp? Any particular snubber you use?

onlyproblem with cpc is if that's all you need ( as in not part of a larger order) the postage is 10x the value of the item.

Depending how the circuit is wired you could use a d/pole light switch and switch both the live and the neutral.

If you're really brave you could fit a 2-way light switch, put the switched live on the 'common' terminal, the live on one of the other terminals and an earth on the last terminal. The earth is functional as well as protective after all...

The emoji's seem to have disappeared so imagine the smiley one at the end of the last sentance or maybe the smiley one that's winking. Not sure if the UK regs will allow the second option but on the off-chance you can use it I'd suggest you leave a note in the switch box for the next sparky, it might save him soiling his underwear.

Depending how the circuit is wired you could use a d/pole light switch and switch both the live and the neutral.

If you're really brave you could fit a 2-way light switch, put the switched live on the 'common' terminal, the live on one of the other terminals and an earth on the last terminal. The earth is functional as well as protective after all...

The emoji's seem to have disappeared so imagine the smiley one at the end of the last sentance or maybe the smiley one that's winking. Not sure if the UK regs will allow the second option but on the off-chance you can use it I'd suggest you leave a note in the switch box for the next sparky, it might save him soiling his underwear.
Smileys still work if you use the shortcuts I believe :) :p - I'm sure the colon codes worked the other day, but seem not to now - but colon and then right bracket for smiley face, colon and P for tongue,,,

I've just been reading one of your past posts from a few years back Marvo, which said exactly the same thing with regards the earth. You got a minor telling off from @Lucien Nunes :)

Won't that lead to a N-E resistance equal to the load being switched (when then switch is in the "off" position)? We tend to frown on such things (though it makes interesting fault-finding)...

And could put 500V across the fan trigger input with an otherwise innocent-seeming L+N - E insulation test.

I could understand if the LED light stayed on dimly, but why is it flashing?

Other than cheap low-wattage ones that use a capacitive dropper, LED lamps have a switched-mode power supply as a driver. When stray capacitance in the wiring or a control device like your humidistat leaks a small current into the switched line, it passes through the rectifier and slowly charges up the reservoir capacitor in the driver until the voltage is high enough for the circuit to start up. It delivers a brief pulse of output to the LEDs, but in a few milliseconds the charge stored in the capacitor is used up and it shuts down. The capacitor begins to charge again...

I suppose if the N was brought to the last terminal instead of the earth, that would equalise any potential across the lamp when switched off? Not sure it's a good idea/compliant though, something to do with switching neutrals

I suppose if the N was brought to the last terminal instead of the earth, that would equalise any potential across the lamp when switched off? Not sure it's a good idea/compliant though, something to do with switching neutrals
Using a change-over switch to short out the lamp is perfectly OK as you are not switching the neutral, you are switching the live feed to the lamp (i.e. at no point would both lamp terminals be live due to an open on the neutral path).

But...I would worry about the next one changing the switch getting a nasty surprise as it is so common/normal to have unsleeved blue (or black) as the switched live to a light (not really neutral)!

I've just been reading one of your past posts from a few years back Marvo, which said exactly the same thing with regards the earth. You got a minor telling off from @Lucien Nunes :)
Yeah, quite possibly and quite rightly so, hence the smileys. As mentioned by Pretty Mouth it would be a considerably more legitimate remedy if you used the neutral rather than the earth. Creating a path between neutral and earth, even a very resistance path, within an installation isn't a good idea for several reasons and it's forbidden in my local regs so I'm guessing it's also forbidden in the UK regs.

There's another aspect to using a changeover (2-way) switch to short the lamp which is that L and N are present on N/O and N/C contacts (L1 and L2). In a functional switch that is not designed as an isolator, and made for AC only, the contact separation when open is very small, only a millimetre or two; too small to guarantee that the separation alone will extinguish any arc that forms when a load is switched off. This is deliberate, because the arc will extinguish itself at the next current-zero in the AC cycle and the smaller it is in the meantime, the less heat it will dissipate.

Consider first what will happen with a normal switching configuration, either 1- or 2-way, the effect is the same. When the current-carrying contacts open, an arc forms that behaves like a conductor, continuing to pass current through to the lamp across the contact gap. It doesn't matter whether the common contact then makes contact with another other fixed one, perhaps bringing another strapper into circuit. The current flows through the arc and lamp until, not more than 1/100 of a second later, it drops to zero in the AC cycle, the arc extinguishes and the lamp goes out.

Now consider this lamp-shorting arrangement when you switch it off. The common contact separates from the line at L1, drawing an arc with it that keeps feeding current to the lamp. But then the common makes contact with L2 which is connected to neutral, and the arc that is conducting from L1 to common now forms a short-circuit between line and neutral. It will almost certainly extinguish before the MCB trips, but not before chewing a chunk out of the contact.

Back in the bad old days there was a 2-way switching scheme that had line and neutral across each 2-way (called Carter 2-way, look it up if not familiar). It had a serious disadvantage that one of the off combinations made both terminals of the lamp live, but it worked. However, in those days, the contact separation of switches designed for DC was more like half an inch so that the separation alone was sufficient to extinguish any arc, i.e. the switch design avoided drawing an arc from L to N when used in the Carter configuration. I would not trust a modern micro-break AC-only light switch to achieve this, so would never put L and N on opposite contacts of the same pole.

You could however use the 2-way switch to connect the snubber / dummy load, so that it is not always in circuit when the lamp is on. Save a few pence per year!

There's another aspect to using a changeover (2-way) switch to short the lamp which is that L and N are present on N/O and N/C contacts (L1 and L2). In a functional switch that is not designed as an isolator, and made for AC only, the contact separation when open is very small, only a millimetre or two; too small to guarantee that the separation alone will extinguish any arc that forms when a load is switched off. This is deliberate, because the arc will extinguish itself at the next current-zero in the AC cycle and the smaller it is in the meantime, the less heat it will dissipate.

Consider first what will happen with a normal switching configuration, either 1- or 2-way, the effect is the same. When the current-carrying contacts open, an arc forms that behaves like a conductor, continuing to pass current through to the lamp across the contact gap. It doesn't matter whether the common contact then makes contact with another other fixed one, perhaps bringing another strapper into circuit. The current flows through the arc and lamp until, not more than 1/100 of a second later, it drops to zero in the AC cycle, the arc extinguishes and the lamp goes out.

Now consider this lamp-shorting arrangement when you switch it off. The common contact separates from the line at L1, drawing an arc with it that keeps feeding current to the lamp. But then the common makes contact with L2 which is connected to neutral, and the arc that is conducting from L1 to common now forms a short-circuit between line and neutral. It will almost certainly extinguish before the MCB trips, but not before chewing a chunk out of the contact.

Back in the bad old days there was a 2-way switching scheme that had line and neutral across each 2-way (called Carter 2-way, look it up if not familiar). It had a serious disadvantage that one of the off combinations made both terminals of the lamp live, but it worked. However, in those days, the contact separation of switches designed for DC was more like half an inch so that the separation alone was sufficient to extinguish any arc, i.e. the switch design avoided drawing an arc from L to N when used in the Carter configuration. I would not trust a modern micro-break AC-only light switch to achieve this, so would never put L and N on opposite contacts of the same pole.

You could however use the 2-way switch to connect the snubber / dummy load, so that it is not always in circuit when the lamp is on. Save a few pence per year!
Could you explain how to use the snubber at the switch without the neutral Lucien?

I didn't say without a neutral!

@happyhippydad , another way you might tackle this problem is by using a dp switch. Both commons connected to PL, with SL1 going to the light, and SL2 to the fan isolator SL. When open, there will be no way for the stray current to make its way through the light.View attachment 61326
Thanks for that Pretty Mouth :)
You've got a table just like mine!

Reply to LED light in bathroom flashes when extractor fan TP pole switch is closed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock